wetting surface before water based paint (woodwork)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok.

I have already applied one coat of armstead silk woodwork paint and wet sanded it back.
I's over Zinnser as a combined undercoat/primer ( dry sanded )

I have a through lounge so I am currently getting the front room up to the same stage as above.

The instructions on the tin suggest wetting both the brush and woodwork slightly before applying the second (top) coat. I have a clean yellow sponge that I intended to dampen the woodwork with - how wet/damp? And brush size ( good synthetic) Do I dunk it in a mug of water and press the head on a paper towel? Again, how wet?

Presumably I dampen and paint…dampen and paint… but with the brush do I just dunk it in water one time?

cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
the reason is to help the paint flow a bit more easily as water based paints dry quickly and can't be worked as long as oil based paints because if you do then end up with lots of brush marks.
I have never bothered, just got used to applying just the right amount of paint not to cause drips, quick couple of swipes with the brush then lay it off straight away and move on to the next bit. Floetrol can help but despite what it says on the tin can reduce the coverability of some colours of paint particularly white.
What paint are you using make and colour.

Hi thanks

Armstead (Dulux?) satin white on doors skirting and window ledge

Sponsored Links
would probably stick clear of using floetrol especially as satin tends not to cover as well as full gloss. If you want to do the water thing then just dip your brush in water every now and then. The alternative is if you need to go over something again, just load up with more paint first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back