Mis-Firing Golf Mark 3 1.6 CL Eng Code AEE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

My Golf Mark 3 1.6 CL has been running really smoothly without any problems. I left it untouched over the weekend and only drove it yesterday. As I drove it I noticed after a few hundreds yards or so down the road that it started to misfire and jerk especially when accelerating. I have cleaned the distributor cap, replaced the spark plug on Number 2 cyclinder which appears to be the culprit but car still misfires. Any help would be appreciated, many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think you need to consider replacing most of the ignition parts really - they must be past their best. That includes plugs, leads, distributor cap and rotor arm. However you might like to look at the engine when its running in the dark to look for any spark leakage. When the plugs are out, do a compression test - all cylinders should have similar readings, around 200 psi maybe. Cheers John

Many Thanks Burnerman
I had the Distributor cap, Rotor Arm and Plugs replaced. AA Patrol came had a look and verified leads are all OK, spent 3 hours looking at the problem seems to be cyclinder 2 when injector wiring loom is removed from all other injectors but Cylinder 2 engine struggles to idel. When injector for cylinder 2 is removed no change in engine idle. AA Patrol checked that electrical current to inject 2 was fine. Does it mean that the injector in cyclinder 2 has failed and if so are they hard to purchase and replace? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PS put Fuel injector cleaner, Forte I think but made no difference after 15 mile run.

Sponsored Links
HI All

Many thanks for all the helpand advice. Just to let you know that 2nd AA Patrol man had a look. He did a lot of testing and found injector is fine and he had nenevr heard of one needing replacing. Finally tracked it to the HT lead to Number 2 spark plug which seemed to be shortening only sometimes hence why is was so difficult to spot!!!

Back