Mishapen UPVC windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hired a joiner to fit 7 UPVC large Tilt and turn windows in my flat with a dividing transom in each. I previously asked him to give me a quote for a window make/profile other than the supplier he usually used. He sourced the nearest supplier of the window make I liked (Deceuninck/Zendow 3000 located 80 miles away).

I paid him 1000 quid as a deposit and owe him a further 2300 on completion. He measured up /ordered/ bought (himself) then fitted them - however on inspection I noticed that the opening windows were slightly mishapen - as if they had been badly put together on the bench. The middle transom drops down to the right by a perhaps 2-5 degrees (measured) in all cases irregardless of which side the hinges are on. They are big tilt and turns and the effect is pretty noticable to me . I'm very unhappy with them.

When I mentioned my concern to my joiner he eventually went from saying 'he couldn't see a problem' to admitting and agreeing that there was a defect in the windows. The fitting was sound - the frames showed straight and true edges (so it wasn't his fault)... but up to a point.. although all the frames were not distorted in anyway by overzealous fitting they had all been fitted not level - seemingly in a way as to counter the obvious opposite angle error with the transom. Basically I think he fibbed when he'd said he'd only just noticed and I'm pretty sure he fitted the frames to compensate for the windows not being square

Also he said maybe they are too heavy and that the frame has warped as a result. One of the windows is a smallish/med 1100x500 wide job and that one displays the same problem.

When I voiced my concern he admitted that they were not perfect by any means but he said that this new supplier could respond to him by saying that the frame's although not straight and true were within tolerances? As in British Standard guidelines. Is this true?? Windows should use 90 degree angles shouldn't they?

I'm not happy with the windows that are fitted - although I can see the fitting of the frames has not caused the buckling of the windows - I cringe when I look at them. He clearly does not want to hassle his new supplier - he's paid for the windows and wants payment from me. I get the impression that he thinks that he doesn't have a leg to stand on and that he would have to coerce the supplier to make a 160mile round trip to make a decision.

Forgive for such a long long post but if anybody could maybe help out as to where I stand. Or where I can shoot myself.

Thanks for any replies .. will respond.

Jamie

Sponsored Links
Can you post up some pictures to make it easier to understand this bow/warp/twist. Although it already sounds unacceptable

2 degrees out of 360 isn't that much. The fact you just had to have a certain type of window from across the country seems to suggest that you are hyper fussy. I think you might find they are within tolerances. We want photos.

Sponsored Links
Well 2-4 degrees out of 90 more like ;) Wish I had access to a decent camera.

Put it this way my brother and father never even noticed but my girlfriend and her friend clocked it straight away (they saw it 1st).

Not being fussy really about the windows - did not want the fake wood ogee/ovolo or the chamfered profile to the edging bead that's all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back