fitting pvc windows in block work new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the general practise for fitting upvc window in a new build into block work.

I've only ever retrofitted and screwed through the pvc frame.

I've seen the upvc window fixing cleats being used a while back. Are they a better option or is screwing directly through the frame and into the block work more a more sturdier practise. What would a full time window fitter do if he/she needed to fit a lot of windows.?

I have a seven windows to fit in my extention

Sponsored Links
Our company would use the cleats in new build, unless customer specified differently, gives a cleaner look to the frame when finished as no screws.

I would always use fixings if you've ever tried replacing windows that are on cleats then you'll appreciate why, personal choice really I cant stand cleats

I would always use fixings if you've ever tried replacing windows that are on cleats then you'll appreciate why, personal choice really I cant stand cleats

Im with Pinnacle here. Nothing worse than trying to remove a window that has been fitted with cleats, You will end up with chunks of plaster or render coming off, Sometimes whole reveals.

If your fixing through the frame you can countersink the fixings to make them neat (you never really notice them anyway).

On the other hand if your windows come pre-glazed cleats are much faster as you wont need to de-glaze. You pretty much have to use them if the windows have Astragal bars (these always come pre-glazed).

Sponsored Links
I can see both sides, cleats for speed on new build even those spring loaded jobbies that ratchet onto cavity closers but replacement windows I would screw fix, its a nightmare removing a window that's on cleats, say goodbye to the plaster reveals!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back