Fixing brackets for PVC windows and foam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a bunch of PVC windows delivered today, their frames have grooves and from what I know window fitters have those fixing brackets (cleats?) which you twist and lock on the frame and the cleats then stick out the back and you screw them into the wall. I have attached a photo of the windows and those fixing brackets.

I need to buy plenty of these brackets, does anyone know what they look like and where from? The window manufacturer rather unhelpfully told me it is not their job to make them, or even tell me where to buy them from.

On the question of foam, how do we apply the foam? Do we stick the nozzle into the gaps on the sides, even if the gaps are tiny and then hope the foam will not come out the other end or make a mess?

Attachments

• 20200629_114520_s.jpg
    20200629_114520_s.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
On the question of foam, how do we apply the foam? Do we stick the nozzle into the gaps on the sides, even if the gaps are tiny and then hope the foam will not come out the other end or make a mess
Get a metal foam gun and some gun cleaner.

the proper guns are controllable so you can set them for slow delivery.

be frugal with the foam, as it keeps expanding for ages afterwards.

if the gaps like 4mm or less you are better off with silicone.

if you have face brickwork outside avoid getting foam on it….foam up from inside.

I am going to buy the metal foam gun and associated bits. I am afraid the gaps will be in the order of a few mm, I have ordered 7.5mm on all sides but in practice...

My walls are 7.2Nt blocks. The manufacturer only suggests chemical fixings. What screws/plugs/system should I use on the cleats?

Sponsored Links
Further advice needed please:

I have got the fixing plates (a sample) which have a pre-drilled hole at 7.5mm (maybe 8mm), and the frame fixing screws are 10mm. I cannot drill with a 10mm bit, or push the screw plug into the blockwork through the pre-drilled holes.

My options are:

1. Use smaller diameter screws and plugs that will pass through the pre-drilled holes or even use self-tapping screws directly into the block
2. Mark the exact spots, remove the fixing cleat (somehow move out of the way), drill hole, insert plug
3. Widen the pre-drilled holes (which is laborious)

How do others do this?

Attachments

• 20221118_001525_s.jpg
    20221118_001525_s.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 45
I bought the 10mm Fischers with plugs. If I use self-tapping screws they will eventually work themselves loose.

These are the best anchors I can use, short of chemically bonded bolts (which we have used for timber plates into blocks).

There not the best anchors available if they don't fit,

Self drill screws and expanding foam are used all the time and no one has problems with windows coming loose and falling out.

As said I'd use concrete screws unless it's going into thermal it's then an anchor like you have is better, concrete breeze blocks then plug less concrete screws all day long

OK thanks for all suggestions. I still have not found the right strap that will fit my window frame profile though...

If using ' concrete ' fixers you don't need the straps. Drill through the frame ( and possible reinforcing) then drill into wall for concrete fixings. That's how majority of replacement windows are fixed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back