Fixing Windows with foam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm fixing a PVC window, and have just cemented up the brickwork. I intend to use Fixing foam. How long do I need to leave the cement to cure before using the foam?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You need screws as well, foam is just for filling gaps, draft proofing and keeping everything in place using only foam is a bodge

Sponsored Links
I am worried about the weather changing without proper security at this window.

I am an amateur and am most probably not doing it how a builder would do, but if I can fix it quickly, then strengthen it all afterwards with screws, this would be better for me.

I realise I would have to fit, remove and re-fit the glass.

Thanks for the link. I have used this sort of screw before.

I have to fill the cavity wall before fixing the window. (It was a door)

So it is only just being cemented, so I can't drill it yet. There is an existing section where I can fix it with foam. I can then fix it with these screws after wards.

I just need to know how long I need to leave fresh cement before using foam on that bit.

Just board it up from inside with OSB board let the cement go off properly and then fix the window, and then use foam

I have structural fixing foam. Does this change the last recommendation of waiting or do you think I can fix it with foam first then reinforce it later?

This would be much better for me.

I prefer foam first it help prevent movement/distortion when screwing thru frame .

Perhaps it's not the proper way, but I did fix it with dots of foam while the cements cures. Today it is quite firm. I can fix it properly later.

It would have been really difficult, to do it properly under the circumstances, and needed to compromise, even though I would hope any proper builder wouldn't do it like this.

Thanks all.

Perhaps it's not the proper way, but I did fix it with dots of foam while the cements cures. Today it is quite firm. I can fix it properly later.

It would have been really difficult, to do it properly under the circumstances, and needed to compromise, even though I would hope any proper builder wouldn't do it like this.

Thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back