windows. to foam or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are getting new windows in feb and they are from sheffield window centre. I asked the surveyor about insulation foam and he said there not using any foam. Im only concerned because everybody says u must use foam to help with the efficiency. So, what is the correct way. No foam or not to foam

Sponsored Links
Most larger company's dont use foam as the fitters are payed per window so they just want to throw them in as fast as they can, They dont want to wait a few hours for the foam to go off.

Personally I think there should be a law/regulation that insists on windows being foamed. Expanding foam is both thermal and sound insulation and is something I would insist on in my own home but they may want to charge you extra for that.

There is no regulation that says it should be done, but it is widely understood to be good practice.

Glass and glazing federation recommends it, various government websites, various trade bodies, as well as the fitting instructions for some of the better brands of windows (not that the fitters tend to read these instructions).

My advice is to ask them if they don't want to do a good job, can they recommend anyone that will.

(If the tolerances around the frame are spot on, which is rare, then foam or similar strips can be used. For new windows into an existing house, foam will be required for a good job 99.9% of the time).

Sponsored Links
The company has a very good rep. The sales man just ask us what deaign we wanted erc then a surveyor came a few weeks later. Tbey dont subcontract Nything out ghere all on the payroll. That and famy recomendations is why I went for them

Using my thermal imaging camera i can clearly see the improvement that i made when i removed the trim and used expanding foam on my double glazing.

It sounds like you have done your research here on both the company and the product which is good.

As I said most of the large national company's dont bother with foam so there are 100s of thousands of windows out there that arnt foamed.

Personally I would insist on it. Even if you have to pay a bit extra. If the company wont agree to it you could try the fitters when they come.
Get a proper foam gun for about £25 and a few cans of foam in ready. Then just promise them lots of tea and bacon buttys if they use it

Thanks for replys. Is there a specific foam to use as I read it can warp the frames. I will ring ahead to make sure about whether they foam or not

Another thing to bear in mind whether they foam or not is how tight the surveyor has measured the frames, too tight and they'll be no room to get the foam gun nozzle in and it'll just get sealed over, i'd be more concerned if it went the over way and big gaps were just stuffed with cleaning tissue and sealed over or trimmed and sealed with no foam

The company has a very good rep. The sales man just ask us what deaign we wanted erc then a surveyor came a few weeks later. Tbey dont subcontract Nything out ghere all on the payroll. That and famy recomendations is why I went for them

As with all things, the standard of the job that you get is all to do with the crew who do it - overall company reputation has no direct bearing on that.[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back