Window seal help - Glazing Foam (or Gasket)?

TBB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I hope someone can help me!

I have just recently bought my first house. Trying to save myself some money by doing DIY but the only experience I really have is just helping my dad out as a kid!

There is some sort of foam between the internal window pane and UPVC frame and on one of the windows it is very damaged in several places.

I’ve attached a photo.

I’ve googled it and I think it’s glazing foam.

Question is how do I go about replacing it? I tried to see if I could pull it out without damaging it more but it’s obviously stuck tight! Do I need to just yank it out or is there a special way of taking it out?

The window has the beading on the outside (and it’s first floor). Can I change it without taking the window pane out?

The rest of the windows in the house seem to have a rubber gasket rather than foam.
Is it better to use foam or a gasket? (To be honest I do prefer the look of the gasket!)

Thanks for helping a gal out! Sorry if these are really silly questions!

TBB

Attachments

• 892A9DBA-0BA4-4E49-B209-D6AF1D4028BC.jpeg
    892A9DBA-0BA4-4E49-B209-D6AF1D4028BC.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 174
Sponsored Links
If you are really careful (both in terms of protecting your fingers and the glass/frame) you could run a stanley knife type blade along both inner edges (the window frame edge and the glass panel edge) to remove as much of the foam as possible. As you move the blade along, you'd want to do a slight forwards/backwards movement, like a sawing movement if that makes sense?

You could then use something like HG Sticker Remover with cotton buds to remove any tacky residue from the cavity (test on a small hidden part of the plastic first to ensure it doesn't mark.)

Buy a gasket sample pack, determine what gasket fits best, and order enough to fit around the window. e.g. something like this

Double Glazing Seal / Gasket Sample Pack (handlesandhinges.co.uk)

When fitting the new gasket, do not stretch it in any way, otherwise it'll shrink back once fitted leaving the corners exposed.

As your beads are on the outside its super easy to break in by removing the beads then the glass, that foam is glazing security tape, it stops the glass being removed from the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back