Expanding Foam around new door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just put in my new oak french doors and will be using the expanding foam down the sides and around the top to give a better insulated seal.

I also have a decent gap between the cill and brick.

IS it ok to use the foam under here or will i get problems with lifting ?

The supplier was a little reluctant to recommend using the foam under the cill as he said it can cause issues with the doors closing and locking correctly.

He recommended to just fill it with silicone.

What are peoples views on this ?

Attachments

• IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 389
Sponsored Links
It needs packers / wedges -in line with mullions, probably under centre to stop bounce in future.

If you know how to be gentle with a foam gun its fine.

Foam is no good exposed to the outside, so either cement mortar or silicone to finish at front edge.

as it's an oak set, it might look better with hardwood strip, stained to match, fastened to cover the foam/silicone in the manner of an architrave It only needs to be fixed to the frame, so it can move relative to the wall. It need not be as wide as architrave.

As for lifting the sill, if you cover everything with taped down clingfilm first, you can inject the foam in the gap a little at a time, in dabs with gaps between them, and let it expand sideways without pushing the sill. If small gaps remain between the dabs after it has expanded, fill them after it is hard. Cut off the excess the next day. I don't have problems with expanding foam pushing, if it's applied in small amounts with space around them. It's large amounts with nowhere to go that cause damage.

p.s.
If you don't already have a foam gun, the Fischer one is good value and easy to use. Buy some gun cleaner when you buy your foam.

Sponsored Links
I have it packed underneath and a wedge in the top.

Sounds good about using the foam in small bursts. Didn’t think about that one.

Thanks for advise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back