Misted headlight

Joined
17 Apr 2007
Messages
2,756
Reaction score
147
Country
United Kingdom
Bora TDI

From what I've read, the UV protection layer has been eroded by the weather hence the misting of the plastic material.

Has anyone used this product?

Or perhaps fine grade Wet n Dry then glass polish?
 
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
T-Cut on a damp rag and a bit of elbow grease. If you haven’t got any T-Cut, toothpaste will do.
 
I had excellent results polishing off the eroded surface of my headlamp lenses (they look like glass but it's actually a clear plastic) with Meguars.

I just bought a bottle of the liquid polish but you can buy kits at higher price.

The protective lacquer spray left a slightly satin finish. I think I would rather not have used it, and polished them again in a few years if necessary,

I tried various buffing mops but got the best results with a foam polishing pad in my cordless drill. The plastic foam holds the polishing compound without absorbing it or flinging it off. You can get a polishing kit with an arbour and a rubber backing disk.

You do not need to grind the surface away with abrasives

I can send you some pics by message but they are not to be distributed for privacy reasons.

s-l500.webp
 
You do need to mask off all nearby paint and other materials as the polish is very hard to remove once dry. I opened the bonnet for best access.
 
For £4 it must be worth a try, I had good results using fine grades of wet & dry then final polish. Finished with clear lacquer and it lasted a couple of years before I changed it for one from a scrap yard.
 
Back
Top