Mist Coat Problem - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know there have been other threads about this and I've read them but couldn't find the answer I need.

I've done a mist coat on new, dry plaster. I've used Crown brilliant white matt emulsion and diluted to the amount recommended on the can.

Having applied the mist coat, after 24 hours it has a chalky texture and dust comes off on my hand. I called Crown and they said this is because it is a basic matt emulsion with low vinyl content, so some dust is normal because it isn't as well bonded as other paints. They sort of suggested other products are better for mist coats, but unfortunately don't say this on the can, providing instructions about how to dilute for new plaster!

My question is: is this dusty mist coat (I have in fact done two mist coats) an adequate foundation for putting top coats on, since it seems to be not very hard and firm? Or should I just wash it off and start again with another product? I have only done where radiators would go and one ceiling, so washing off will be a pain but not the end of the world. I want to get this right as I've spent a fortune on the new plastering and don't want problems later.

Or do I not have a problem here? Is this all fine? Is chalkiness not a problem?

Incidentally, the can says dilute the paint up to 40%. I assume this means that for 5L of paint, I'm adding 2L of water (5:2 ratio). Percentages are slightly ambiguous because it could mean 40% of the final mixture, which is a different quantity.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back