Misty new windows in the sunshine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are lots of threads about misted double glazed units, where the unit has failed or the silica gel has gone etc but this is a different sort of thing.

We have had the windows 3 weeks. All seems OK, and in the shade or when the sun is not out the windows look perfectly clear.

However when the sun shines through, the windows take on a misted appearance - however it does not look like moisture as it is completely even all over the pane - and in fact if part of the pane is in shade that bit looks clear, and only the sunny part looks fogged up.

It's driving the Mrs mad - she has cleaned them about 10 times since they have been installed but they just look like they need cleaning again when the sun is out.

It's a weird effect - almost like the colour of a thin coat of clear varnish - almost whitish in appearance.

I have notified the installing company and they are sending someone out from their glass suppliers but I'm just wondering what might be causing this - it almost looks like a residue on the inside faces of the glass, or can it be a reaction to the warmth / light from the sun?

Cheers.

Chris.

Sponsored Links
ah, you opted for the "reactalite" windows then.. designed to prevent bleaching of carpets and furniture.
they go misty in direct sunlight to block the UV rays that bleach the colour out of the carpets etc...

oh.. BTW, I'm joking, I have no idea what it is, might just be the "k glass" coating on it, or indeed dust etc inside the unit..
is it just the one unit or all of them?

It's all of them - well all that have the sun streaming in anyway.

Funny thing was the fixed units had an issue in manufacturing and were replaced, so effectively were made at a different time to the opening units - yet side by side the exhibit the same appearance.

Sponsored Links
The milky hazy thing you see is the K coating as the window company says and if its K you want then you'll have to put up with it, in my opinion it looks horrible.

But there may be a solution, pilkington 'K' is whats known as 'hard coat', all hard coat coatings give this misted look, ask your company if they would consider using a supplier who buys his glass from Saint-Gobain, a french company who make glass over here too just like pilkingtons but saint-gobain make a 'soft coat' also which is totally clear, the brand name for that is 'planitherm'.

I believe they dont do the hard coat themselves anymore for this exact same reason, but when they were it was called 'eco-logik'. So if your window company agree to replace they need to use saint-gobain planitherm not eco-logik.

Hope this helps ;)

The milky hazy thing you see is the K coating as the window company says and if its K you want then you'll have to put up with it, in my opinion it looks horrible.

But there may be a solution, pilkington 'K' is whats known as 'hard coat', all hard coat coatings give this misted look, ask your company if they would consider using a supplier who buys his glass from Saint-Gobain, a french company who make glass over here too just like pilkingtons but saint-gobain make a 'soft coat' also which is totally clear, the brand name for that is 'planitherm'.

I believe they dont do the hard coat themselves anymore for this exact same reason, but when they were it was called 'eco-logik'. So if your window company agree to replace they need to use saint-gobain planitherm not eco-logik.

Hope this helps ;)

Spot on advice that :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back