mitre joints greater than 45 degrees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doing external mitre joints (I scribe internal ones) but as with most rooms none of the walls are square.I have a chop saw which tilts to 45 degrees but to cut the perfect joint need to cut to maybe 50 degrees on one joint.How is it done?

Sponsored Links
Find the angle you want using a sliding bevel and cut it by hand if the angle you want isn't on the mitre block.

not having the tool you have, so i do not know.
if the angle is more than 45 degrees say 50 degrees, could you not turn the timber over / around as that should then make 40 degrees the other way?

No, both angle would have to be the same otherwise you will find the width of one of the mitre cut will be wider than the other one.

Tip:
If you don't own a sliding bevel depending how many to do, you could use a angle cut on a paper

Sponsored Links
why not use a square, set the piece you want to use against it and use this as a guide for the bit you actually want to cut. you can then set the mitre saw at 40° and using this set up you can get 50° (90°-40°)

I hope you can visualise it

You can buy an angle finder, basically like a bevel but with a metal bar on the joint, you place the tool against whatever you want to find the angle of, and then cut the angle at what the metal piece dictates, easy

You could always guess. Make up a corner using a bit of offcut material, and offer it up. If it's wrong, mark the position of your saw, adjust and try again. I bet you'd have it close enough by the third attempt. You can even use the same two offcuts for each attempt, as you simply cut the bad guesses off with each succesive attempt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back