mix different central heating inhibitors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can i mix different central heating inhibitors.
Two years ago I had a new system and 12 new rads the sysem had scalemaster sm 1 added but since then i have drained 3 1/2 rads and refilled so think I should add extra inhibitor. Can I put in Fernox with what I already have and should I just use half the bottel as I am only topping up - can you have it too strong?. Its tricky to get hold of the origional stuff as I can get Fernox easy. Also the scalemaster is £8 and fernox £20 - is scalemaster not as good

Sponsored Links
Should be OK to mix, and yes you definitely need to add some more. It's impossible to put too much in so don't worry about that

Generally I prefer Sentinel X100 as an inhibitor.

You cannot overdose.

Dont expect to be able to get two different types to add their effect because many use different chemicals.

I would always advise adding a complete dosage of a new type.

It probably does not matter having a little of old types in the system. Some might say its better to drain out old types and start again. I doubt that its worth doing that.

Tony

Thanks both for the help.
I want to get it done tomorrow so Fernox easy to get. I may be able to also get the origional scalemaster SM-1 but as I can mix should I not bother and just put in the Fernox as not sure how good the other is

Sponsored Links
I dont know how good it it either! But it is a known brand unlike some unknowns sold by the sheds!

My advice is to always use Fernox, Sentinel or Kamco.

If you can get the same type again then do that and add say 2/3 of the bottle and keep the rest to add in a year or two.

Tony

You can mix inhibitors, most of the chemicals in them are the same. The really important bit is that you use inhibitors that are safe to use with aluminum. Even if you think you don't have it in your system, getting it wrong causes lots of problems and costs. Luckily it is rare to find inhibitors in a shop that is not safe with all metals.

NO.

The active ingredients are zinc phosphonate in Scalemaster (http://www.scalemaster.co.uk/pdfs/SM1.pdf) and sodium molybdate in Sentinel (I think, Sentinel don't psot the COSHH data sheet on their website). I've never heard of zinc phosphonate and don't know what would happen if you mixed the two, I'm not a chemist.

It may be OK, it may not. I'd flush it and refill with Sentinel. Do as you like, let us know what happens.

NO.

The active ingredients are zinc phosphonate in Scalemaster (http://www.scalemaster.co.uk/pdfs/SM1.pdf) and sodium molybdate in Sentinel (I think, Sentinel don't psot the COSHH data sheet on their website). I've never heard of zinc phosphonate and don't know what would happen if you mixed the two, I'm not a chemist.

It may be OK, it may not. I'd flush it and refill with Sentinel. Do as you like, let us know what happens.
Oooh theres one for the no mix camp then - just as I was about to go out and get some. I was going to add fernox F1 is it would that be ok to mix with scalemaster

http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/product/detail/central-heating/liquids/x100-inhibitor/

"Is Sentinel X100 compatible with other brands of treatment products?

The effects on system protection and function of system components cannot be predicted when adding Sentinel X100 to a system already containing other chemical inhibitors. Therefore, it is not recommended to mix Sentinel X100 with other inhibitor products."

They would say that, though. Fernox probably say much the same.

The scalemaster info says that it is safe to use in a system of unknown protection manafacturer . So if i already have scalemaster in there then it should work the other way round shouldent it.
Just to be cleare I am thinking of adding Fernox to a system with scalemaster in already.--Reason being I need to do it today and can get fernox but not scalemaster in leicester

The scalemaster info says that it is safe to use in a system of unknown protection manafacturer . So if i already have scalemaster in there then it should work the other way round shouldent it.
Just to be cleare I am thinking of adding Fernox to a system with scalemaster in already.--Reason being I need to do it today and can get fernox but not scalemaster in leicester

Where in Leicester are you? The place I went to for work experience stocked the whole SM range. You could phone up and ask if they got any before going :)

Thanks david973 I have actually got some today from AAAdiy nr B&Q but also udiy Narborough road stock it but was out of stock and I found out that scalemaster make the own lable stuff for PTS or is it PTTS.
Given the mixed responce on the mixed inhib I did not want to risk anything. So who was it that had the lot

Thanks david973 I have actually got some today from AAAdiy nr B&Q but also udiy Narborough road stock it but was out of stock and I found out that scalemaster make the own lable stuff for PTS or is it PTTS.
Given the mixed responce on the mixed inhib I did not want to risk anything. So who was it that had the lot

J.A Clarke Plumbing and Heating, near the railway station :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back