Mixed-flow extractor-fans

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello

Posted this on Plumbing but no replies. Hope you can help.

Contacted an e-Bay vendor about some fans ( for shower-room , 8.5 m3, 4 lm smooth 100 mm PVC pipe to exterior)) and he said they were of the above type which is a hybrid of radial and centrifugal.

What I have looked-up is all related to industrial-type fans , nothing on domestic, so I would like to ask your opinions. The volume of air displaced was more than I needed, just question about the length of exhaust.

Vendor was a bit vague which seemed to be lack of knowlege rather than not wanting to say.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Traditionally, axial fans are used where there is a direct route to the outside, such as a window or wall or short lengths of ducting (1 or 2 metres max.) Centrifugal fans generate a higher pressure and are used with longer lengths of ductwork to overcome the losses as a result. Centrifugal fans are often physically larger, and I believe (someone else may be able to confirm or refute this) have larger motors than axial fans for a similar extraction rate.

Mixed fans have blades that use both principles and fall between the two in terms of performance. I would expect a mixed flow fan to cope with 4 metres without any difficulty. The manufacturer should be able provide data with performance figures and many can be found on the internet if you search.

Sponsored Links
I bought a pair of inline extractors off eBay a couple of years ago, and the seller had provided a graph of extraction rate vs pressure/duct length on the listing. Perhaps you could try asking your seller to have a look through the manual and see if this information is in there or, failing that, buy from a source that is willing to supply you with the technical information you require.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back