Mixer shower not hot enough.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Bristan mixer shower is not hot enough. I have taken off the tap and turned the screw fully to the hot side but still it is only warm whereas the wash basin is very hot. I read somewhere that it may be the cold water pressure is too strong and that I may have to get a pressure reduction valve fitted. Is there no insert you can put in the shower hub to reduce the cold water flow? Help please.

Sponsored Links
Is the shower mains cold fed and gravity hot? If so then unfortunately this not been installed correctly as they require reasonably balanced supply pressures to work effectively. I.e. mains cold and hot from a combi or from a hot cylinder and cold storage tank.
Do the feed pipes to the shower have isolators? Turn the cold one off a tad and this may allow it to work correctly by lowering the cold flow rate though not ideal and not guaranteed to work as it does not reduce the pressure, which is probably your main problem.
Fitting a pressure reducing valve on the cold would be the alternative as you mention but you need to know the hot pressure to purchase the correct valve and balance correctly.
Ideally though a cold feed to the shower from the cold storage tank to balance with the hot cylinder feed would be the ideal fix.

Not sure if bristan have inline flow reducers for your shower but again this will not sort out the unbalanced pressures.

Retro-fit flow restrictors are available:

2011-2-2--6-44-4-360.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back