mixer shower problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a mixer shower installed, off a gravity fed system. The shower is a low presure kind as the head room from the cold water tank to the shower head is about 1m. However, when the plumber tried the shower only a trickle of cold water came out and no hot at all. He reckons that I need a pump to boost the presure, however, I'm not sure as we had a mixer shower previously and that worked fine (but my wife in her wisdom had it ripped out when we last had the bathroom done!). Even when I put the shower head right down in the bath and try it, only a trickle comes out?? Has anyone got any ideas what the porblem might be??? I don't in my heart of hearts believe a pump will solve the problem and I'll end up wasting 300 quid. Especially as the hot water pressure is really good and even thats not getting to the mixer (the hot pipe doesn't heven get warm!)

Help!

Sponsored Links
Soundds like a blockage in the pipe, which could be crud or air. Depends on your setup, but basically disconnect from the head going backwards to see what the flow is up to point of disconnection. Mixers sometimes have to have the right cartridge for low head situations. Usual cure for air locks is to connect the mains to the tap to push air back into the tank. Also works for bits of limescale etc but the mixer might not like it - ask the mfrs.
If the mixer's exposed, the first thing I'd do is remove it and see waht comes out!. Also check that any isolating valves are full bore type, not the cheap narrow screwdriver operated type.

1m is still pitiably small for a head though

Head from top of my tank to the shower head is probably 1.5m. I have the shower supplied by a pump but with the power disconnected (and thus the pump adding drag to the system) the pressure at the shower head is still enough for a satisfactory shower.

So, your plumber appears to be talking rubbish. I agree with ChrisR, something is blocking the flow.

Have made sure that all valves between the tank and the mixer are fully open? Are the hot and cold connected the right way round to the mixer (I would think a thermostatic shower wouldn't work so well with these reversed)?

I have an aqualisa mixer, hot water about 1m, cold from two large storeage tanks in loft, mine are pumped now, but when you first try to use the shower, you must bleed it, this can take a while, I have found actualy sucking air through the head pipe helps, you have to be very patient. If flow is then very slow, you will need a pump.
Ian

Sponsored Links
i installed a mixer thinkin it will work fine but found out that when i lift the head up to its showering height it just dripps out, i found out that the gravity boiler it on the same floor as the shower so will not work unless it has a pump which are 200 quid for a brass one. i was very disapointed when i found out that it was exempt from 16 day garantee (argos)
dont know what to do fit a pump or fit an eleccy shower which will have to be wired in... :cry:

wil that work what is the power (amps) rating, ie where can i utilse a feed 4 it... cheers

heres the pump
p1720581_l.jpg

why has it got 4 ports? it doesnt have much info on the site
heres the spec-:
Twin impeller shower pump which will deliver boosted and balanced hot and cold water to the shower.

Twin Impeller
1.5 Bar
Single Shower Capability
No Speed Control
4 Flexible Connectors
Pump Must Not be Connected to the Mains Cold Water Supply
Requires a min. 230mm head of water. Connect to a 13A fused spur

you said
mikeyredtop said:
wil that work what is the power (amps) rating, ie where can i utilse a feed 4 it... cheers

you also said
mikeyredtop said:
Connect to a 13A fused spur

you are also (alegedly) a mechanic think of it not as a pump but as half an engine, now you tell me why it has 4 hoses

well i would of thought coz of hot and cold input and output but just wanted a second opinion, when i asked for the rating i didnt know it but then found it in the extra spec, but didnt edit that bit....sorry if u confused u...
you are also (alegedly) a mechanic think of it not as a pump but as half an engine, now you tell me why it has 4 hoses
plus think what u want, all i came here for was advise not sarkey comments
fag.gif

mikeyredtop said:
plus think what u want, all i came here for was advise not sarkey comments

it was not intended to be sarcastic, its just that in most other posts you have made you appear to not understand anything. I was merely trying to put it in such a way that i figured you could understand

for those who think i am being too sarcastic see this first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back