Mixer Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Mira Mixer Shower, and when used it only ever gets luke warm no matter where the temp guage is set. However, when I turn on the cold tap on the bath a little, the flow reduces, and the shower getts hotter, the more I turn on the cold tap, the better it gets until all hot water flow ceases. Is this a central heating Problem, or a shower prob, as the hot water in the taps heats up OK, and the hot pipe leading to the shower gets very hot. Also is it possible to turn up water flow on a combi boiler, as I can only have 1 hot water tap on at a time, is I try 2 the flow slows to a trickle. This also happens to a lesser extend with Cold water. Hope Somebody can shed some light on this

Rgrds

Chris

Sponsored Links
it sounds like the cartridge in the shower has jammed it either needs a replacement or taking out cleaning up and re greasing.

You are descibing a typical combi boiler to me.

I am having the same issue with the shower - only luke warm, despite new boiler. Mains cold pressure in is around 1.5bar+. This seems to be seasonal - worse in Winter, fine in the Summer. I'm not sure if mains pressure varies, or whether it is just the ground water temperature effect.

I was thinking of installing a pressure reducing valve on the cold, or a pressure equalising valve for that works on both feeds. I took the shower mixer valve apart, but couldn't see any components that I could perform maintenance on. It is a ShowerStream mixer valve - not a brand I have heard of, and it has probably been in the house a few years. What typical maintenance can you perform on the valve/cartridge? Is there anywhere on line that describes what to do?

RE boilers:
I have just had a new combi-boiler installed (Alpha CB28), 28kw with 11.5 l/min flow rate, rather than 24kW with 9 l/min - this allows 2 taps to be operated at once, but both to a lesser flow. The old boiler could only cope with one tap at a time. A higher flow boiler is the key, or I'm not sure if you can fit a downstream booster pump to a boiler output, the way you would with a shower.

Sponsored Links
if you have a combi then the hot and cold are balanced. try a seach for the showerdoc they have exploded diagrams for a lot of showers on there

I would give the whole site address but I dont think im allowed too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back