Mixer tap lubrication

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom mixer tap has become very stiff recently. I read in a forum some while back the usung silicone spray might ease the movement.

However it does not.

I have managed to remove the top and find a large nut ... how you get a spanner on this is gonna be difficult unless there is some tool to do this. But is the valve below this a common one and readily available?

The tap is around 4 years old and cost a lot so I would rather attempt a repair rather than replace. Picture of tap attached.

Sponsored Links
The chrome dome part on the mixer unscrews then the cartridge can be removed.

Do I have to replace the cartridge or can it be lubricated?

They are all plastic you can try soaking it in limescale remover if scaled but useally need replacing.

Sponsored Links
I have got the cartridge out and taken it apart. the only part that is stiff is the hinge at the top with a spindle through it. Could theis be bought seperatly or would I have to replace the whole lot?

Steve

OK thanks for the fast response. I notice they arent too expensive just need to get the right size etc. Off to the plumbers merchant in the morning....

Steve

You really need to know make/model etc otherwise it's a needle in a hay stack as there are thousands of different cartridges.

Yes I have seen. I know its 40mm and I will take the old one with me. Glad I fitted isolation valves when doing the bathroom so I can use water in the rest of the house.

S

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back