Mixer tap washer replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yes, I know , mixer taps ...

I've isolated the tap - thankfully installed with isolater, removed the grub screw which hold the tap end on but it doesn't want to move.

I assume remove the grub screw and then should be able to slide the chrome cover off but it won't budge.

I'm reluctant to start prising it with a screwdriver because the chrime is starting to go anyway and don't want to damage it

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3516.JPG
    IMG_3516.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Try a lubricant or wd40 perhaps or even just pour boiling water over it see if that gets it moving?

Err...well done on getting so far but you won't find a "washer" on a quarter-turn ceramic disc tap spindle.

Take both spindle (or "cartridge") and handle to your local plumbers merchant and ask them for a compatible replacement.

TBF Screwfix cover most replacement scenarios if you know what you're looking for.

Sponsored Links
I have a similar problem in that our kitchen sink cold tap drips and makes a horrible screeching noise when turned on. I assumed it needed a new washer. Now Polesapart's reply is making me wonder. What even is a quarter-turn ceramic disc tap spindle?

Also, when the mixer tap was fitted, I had an inline valve fitted so that in future I would be able to isolate it in situations like this. Typically, the first time I need to close the valve, it won't budge! I'm beginning to see why the plumber who fitted them said he hated taps..

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back