Mixing Dulux Trade Emulsion (Vinyl Matt) - bad idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to match some Crown paint. The paint has been discontinued by Crown, so I though I'd give Dulux a try.

Went into B&Q and they used their colour matching gun on a piece of painted wood, mixed up 15 litres of Vinyl Matt Trade emulsion.

I'm impressed with the paint. It's got pigment like non other I've tried, problem is, it not the right colour. The sample was stoney grey, and what’s ended up on the walls is some hint of green....

No problem I thought, go to a Dulux centre and try again. They were very helpful, got the colour-matching gun out and they must have made 5 different sample paint pots, but none of them actually resembled the colour samples in the book. One pot was so far out the guy behind the counter refused to charge me for it.

I took a piece of pre-primed mdf in with a brush and tried painting the samples next to each other, then let them dry over a heater, so I could see what colour I would end up with (cleaned the brush in-between samples...)

Anyway, I walked away with two samples that were close, when painted and dried. I found if I mixed them 50-50, I can get an almost exact colour match.

I rang dulux, and they said there would be no problem mixing paints so long as they were from the same line (trade and trade, vinyl and vinyl etc).

My question is how do I go about doing this, and is it a good idea?

Everyone who I've spoken to (experienced DIYers) tell me this is a bad idea - I'll never get a consistent match.

I was thinking of mixing all I might need for say 3 coats of a room, in one big bucket using a paint paddle to get the consistency...and then covering it over at night.

How do other do this, or is it a bad idea?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back