Dulux Trade - Colour not matched to existing??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Hope someone here can give their advice.

We got a sample pot from B&Q of "Muted Stone" and liked the colour so went to the Dulux Trade Centre and brought it. I prefer the Dulux Trade paint as its a lot thicker and gives much better coverage than the normal paint they mix at B&Q.

Decorated the whole utility room and left it for a week before doing some touch up work (Mainly around areas that I cut in)...

I ran out of the Dulux Trade paint and used the tester pot I got from B&Q to finish off the touching in... but noticed the colour was darker and it stood out like a saw thumb.

Went to the Dulux Trade Centre again and told them the story as above so they said each machines calibration is different and a sample pot in one store might be different to the sample pot from another store, so with that in mind I got a sample pot from the same store I got the 5L tub from.

Put a splash on the wall as a test and it was an identical match to the B&Q tester, so again went back to the Trade Centre this afternoon and they said to me...

" a tester pot is only Matt not Vinyl Matt so you would need a Vinyl Matt 1L tin".

Got the 1L Vinyl Matt tin and come home and its identical match to the 2 sample pots.

So now I have a bit of a dilemma. I have a colour which nothing seems to match up to. See picture I have attached below.

The only thing I can think is... Would the machine make the colour slightly different in a bigger tin size (5L?)...

What do I do? Am I within my rights for Dulux to give me a whole new tub for free and at least a few rollers so I can redecorate the room as it looks like I aint going to get a colour match if the present trend is anything to go by.

Sponsored Links
You will Never get an identical match from one store to another,
B&Q paints are a different consistency to other store paints, they are DIY paints. Dulux TRADE are what they say on the tin.

It can also be that you did not stir the paint enough.

Always get a bit more paint than you need.

You will Never get an identical match from one store to another,
B&Q paints are a different consistency to other store paints, they are DIY paints. Dulux TRADE are what they say on the tin.

It can also be that you did not stir the paint enough.

Always get a bit more paint than you need.

Hi Bosswhite,
I have painted the hall/stairs/landing with 3 tins of nautral hessian. I got twos tins from 1 B&Q and one from a trade centre and all blended in with each other seamlessly.

The walls I tool a picture of had the paint thoroughly mixed

Did you use the B & Q tin then stop halfway down the stairway wall and use the Dulux Trade tin,
or did you paint up to a corner then paint the other wall with a different tin,the difference in shading would not then show,

Sponsored Links
Dulux Trade and B&Q mixed Dulux paint (Retail version). Same colour only difference is the trade is a lot thicker.

Well the plot thickens,, i found the roller still with clingfilm around it preserving the colour and I have rolled it out on a pce of white paper and did the same with the new colour mix and they look identical on that bit of paper which leads me to think their is something underline wrong with the paint tins because why would they look totally different on the walls...

To check I wasnt going mad I have rolled the existing roller over the new patch and it hid the colour difference and you couldnt notice it had even been touched!

Between tin sizes there is often a very subtle difference - I had the same thing.

However I did also have an issue with Dulux Trade where a 2.5L tin of paint had a hint of pink in the colour, where as the 5l tin and the tester did not. I had an argument with the retailer over it so escalated to Dulux who got me to paint a sample of each paint onto a card and send it to them.

They then admitted there was an issue with the formula for the 2.5L tin, and they had it replaced for me.

It is very difficult to get a perfect colour match with a tester pot as the formulation needs to be scaled down. Sometimes, depending on the pigments, this cannot be calibrated accurately enough with those little pots.

In future, measure the square metreage of wall to be covered, work out exact number of litres required using the coverage chart on the tin and buy 10% more.

It is very difficult to get a perfect colour match with a tester pot as the formulation needs to be scaled down. Sometimes, depending on the pigments, this cannot be calibrated accurately enough with those little pots.

In future, measure the square metreage of wall to be covered, work out exact number of litres required using the coverage chart on the tin and buy 10% more.

Let me tell you the colour in the tester pot is identical to the one coming out of the 5LTR tin I have got from Dulux.

I have concluded my first tin was dogee. Since the original 5L tin I have got...

2 x Tester Pots (Each from different store)
1 X 1L tin
1 x 5L tin.

Each of above blend in to each other with marginal difference, the original paint has a distinctive shade difference.

Tester pots also do not contain VINYL but again this does not appear to have made any difference when slapped on the wall.

Will be asking Dulux for compensation to cover costs for redecorating.

I thankfully have the roller sleeve that I used to paint originally and on white paper the colours are identical, which leads me to believe that the paint has an underline issue with either the way in which it has dried onto the wall or something that I can not explain.

I know their is a lot of decorators on this forum who have years more experience than me in decorating but when you have two colours that are supposed to be the same and one when dried stands out like a sore thumb then something is wrong.

Dulux... get your chq book out

Akzonobel
Wexham Road
Slough
Berkshire
SL2 5DS

T 08444 817 817
F 08444 817 910

They produce Dulux paints. Call them and explain, and they will advise what to do.

Paint between cans is never absolutely identical so you should stick to using the same can for an entire wall, even if it becomes inefficient.

I made the mistake of using the dregs of a can to do some touching up and it had some of the pigment stuck at the top of the can/lid. It's made a noticeable difference to the finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back