Dulux trade matt/patchy finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dulux colour palette range had the exact colour I was looking for, so I bought a litre for my feature wall. I've always been pleased with this range in the past but I hadn't bought it in the Trade Matt before. Thought this time I would.

I painted on previously decorated Anaglypta, (textured wallpaper to the under 50's). Three coats later I couldn't figure out why it was so patchy. The tin was empty now and, as I blamed the heat, the brush/paint pad, and me! I went to my B&Q for a 2nd tin. ANOTHER THREE COATS later still as patchy. I must add I did try the watering down method this time too.

So, two tins, six coats and £32, more than a fair try. After a call to Dulux in the B&Q store, the man from Dulux agreed this wasn't right but only refunded the price of the 2nd tin!
I rang Dulux myself when I got home and stated my case firmly. I blamed the trade matt (by now I had been on the DIYnot site). It was a struggle but Dulux sent me a voucher for another tin.
One coat later and, perfection. Why?? This time I chose to use the Soft sheen version. DO NOT BUY DULUX TRADE MATT.

Sponsored Links
some shades are a mare when working with matt finishes.

As a pro I consider myself to be able to paint to high standard but I had a mare with a light pink DT matt emulsion once. You could see a difference in sheen where I had cut in, even though I was rolling and cutting in simultaneously. in the end I had to add loads of floetrol and roll as close to the edges as possible. Client was happy but I wasn't.

Fair play to dulux though, most firms would just shrug their shoulders and blame you.

In your case applying a higher finish sheen was the solution, 500 coats of the matt would have ended up patchy unless you sprayed it with an airless kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back