Ceiling painting - can't cover brush marks

Kes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a large landing ceiling replastered (end 2009). Last week I gave it a prime coat of thinned Dulux Vinyl Silk emulsion from a spare tin. I then gave it two coats of B&Q Colours matt emulsion (Antique White). To my disappointment it still looked patchy. I'm starting on a third coat and I can still see brush marks in the finish.

Now it's a pain to do the ceiling, what with my poor neck and struggling over the stairwell. It's also just about impossible to see where I'm putting the new coat on top of the old one. I am applying by brush, by the way, the paint seemed to heavy for a roller. Is there anything I can do to get a non-patchy cover without brushmarks? I have done other ceilings before, I think with vinyl matt, and they cover wiith two coats and have no brushmarks. I know the paint is B&Q but it wasn't particularly cheap. Should I go for say a Dulux vinyl matt (the B&Q is just matt, no vinyl)? Is it that the paint is just matt? (Incidentally the Dulux website seems to have removed the word 'Vinyl'.)

Any speedy advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
We have had a large landing ceiling replastered (end 2009). Last week I gave it a prime coat of thinned Dulux Vinyl Silk .
:eek: That is so wrong, I`m afraid. :oops: Should have been a non- vinyl ( Trade ) matt . Could be why you`re getting brush marks - Seriously, I would bite the bullet and go over it with some water based Zinsser. from a trade shop- ask the staff what they think :idea: Because it`s not cheap , but it is a problem solving coating.

Sponsored Links
If the paint seems a little heavy for the roller, then just thin it down a little with water. Best use a roller to cover the broad area and cut in with a brush after. Because you have used a silk as a primer the other coats are probably skidding around on it. As Nigef says always use a matt or trade matt, thinned down as a primer coat and then fuller top coats to follow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back