Wickes Vinyl Matt - Drying Patchy & Brush Marks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be really grateful from some expert advice from the pros here. Over the last few days, I've put 3 coats of matt white Wickes vinyl matt emulsion on the ceiling, and two of the same but coloured on the walls. Even after three coats, the ceiling is patchy, but better than it was after two coats. I loaded the roller properly, and applied it as I usually would. The walls I used a large brush, and after two coats, they are quite patchy and you can see where the brush has been in lots of places. Also with the walls, you can still see the original colour underneath slightly - emulsion seems a bit thin.

Is my problem;

A) Wickes vinyl matt is crap

B) I'm crap at decorating, although I've emulsioned a number of ceilings and walls over the years without problems

C) Because it was 26 degrees C in the room when it was decorated.

Grateful for any views, as I'm at a loss.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Never used wickes paint so can't comment on it being crap, but if you can see the old colour through it then that says it is poor quality emulsion. Try a proven trade paint and thin the emulsion, in this heat it sucks the moisture out of it as your doing it. Use a 12 inch roller sleeve, medium or long pile, don't roll it out dry and lay off in the same direction. It might help to do the ceiling early in the day before the temperature soars.

Thanks for your reply, ic. When you say thin the emulsion, presumably with water, and how much? Say 10 % water 90 % emulsion?

Also, when you say 'don't roll it out dry', do you mean load the roller with plenty of emulsion? And 'lay off in the same direction', does this mean only roller in one direction? Apologies for the questions - some info sounds like trade terms that I don't know the meaning of.

UPDATE - It's actually my brother's house and I'm helping him. He's clueless, so went to Wickes. I never touch the place as their plumbing stuff is very expensive - rads are the only quality and well priced things I get from there. Anyway, I insisted he take the can of Wickes Emulsion to the local Brewers centre and ask them what they can do in a similar colour that's the best quality and can hopefully complete the wall in one more coat. Will update on progress.

Sponsored Links
Yes just slightly thin with water depending on the thickness of the emulsion, you don't want it too thin to affect coverage, or too thick in this heat.
When you roll don't keep rolling when the roller has run dry, fully load the roller and roll an area and then lay (roll) off in the same direction every time this helps to stop shading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back