New Ceiling - Patchy paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently reboarded our kitchen ceiling using fireboards.

We then had the ceiling plastered and left it 48hrs before painting it.

The 1st coat we did a mist coat and then 24hrs later did a 2nd normal coat.

After it dried the 2nd coat looked a bit patchy and so we gave it a 3rd coat.

This looked even worse so we decided to sand it down.

We have now given it another coat but its still patchy?

We are using Wickes Trade Matt emulsion and using a roller.

Any ideas whats going on?

Sponsored Links
that's very similar to the problem i had with my wall (posted yesterday).

have you got some texture to the "patchy" bits. what i've found is that becasue it's so hot (even hotter upstairs) the paint in dyring quickly. i think i stippled the paint slightly in an aera as it was half dry when i rolled back over it.

last night i sanded it down but couldn't get it right, so spent an hour brushing paint on then lightly rolling it to try and get rid of the extra texture that was catching the light and making it look patchy.

Thanks for your reply James.

Its so frustrating.

Someone else suggested stripping the paint off and starting again but that will take time and could cause damage to the new plaster.

Hows your paint looking now you've brushed it on and the used a roller?

48 hours for a new skim to dry out is not long enough. The plaster will still have residual moisture content & should be left 7-10 days; longer in some cases.

The patchiness could be due to a number of causes, over polishing being the most likely but could be also be due to PVA contamination (you didn't PVA it before painting did you?); how much did you thin the mist coat?

Sponsored Links
Hi

thanks Richard, I dont think any PVA was put on after it was plastered, but i know it was used before it was plastered.

The Mist coat i would say was around 25% water, i dont think it was too thin or too thick.

Any reccommendations on how to resolve the prob, we are running out of time, baby due in 3 weeks heeeeeelp.

thanks in advance

Hi, my wall is looking a lot better. i've got rid of a lot of the abrasive texture by painting over it with a nice brush , going up and down with the paint first, then working it horizontally,. then finally rolling lightly.

absolute pain, but getting better.

i noticed it on the other wall after the second coat - it wasn't there after the first, so definetly made by me. i'm quite sure i must have roughed up some semi dry paint. becasue of the heat (plus it being in the upstairs of dorma, it's touch dry in about 10 mintues (!)

i did the ceiiling in the adjacent room last night when it was cooler and was ery careful. i watered the paint down a touch (about 5-10%) for the first proper coat, so it would cover further, stay wet longer and be a touch easier to see where i was. second coat on the ceiling tonight. fingers crossed.

Is there any paint we can buy that would fix this?

We are running out of time and options...

We really need to get the ceiling sorted so that the new kitchen units can go in.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hi,

We recently reboarded our kitchen ceiling using fireboards.

We then had the ceiling plastered and left it 48hrs before painting it.

The 1st coat we did a mist coat and then 24hrs later did a 2nd normal coat.

After it dried the 2nd coat looked a bit patchy and so we gave it a 3rd coat.

This looked even worse so we decided to sand it down.

We have now given it another coat but its still patchy?

We are using Wickes Trade Matt emulsion and using a roller.

Any ideas whats going on?

Yes.
It's the wrong paint for the job.
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure that it's right for anything.

It's too late to do anything about it now so don't worry, so, if it was me, I'd go and get some Gliddens Contract emulsion and go over it with that
or, Crown contract emulsion, or Leyland Contract emulsion or Dulux contract (supermatt).

Thanks for all the replies.

We've had a 2nd opinion from a different plasterer and he reckons the plaster is bad.

He said its either the plaster was out of date or it went off too quickly.

He said its either the plaster was out of date or it went off too quickly.
Can't see how he can tell you that looking at it now unless it's as rough as badgers asre which would be the cause of your "patching" problem; but it could equally be due to the heat or if your original spread wasn't much good ;)

Assuming the plaster is bad, you now have 2 problems, because it's still the wrong paint for the job. :cry:

Is there any paint we can buy that would fix this?

We are running out of time and options...

We really need to get the ceiling sorted so that the new kitchen units can go in.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Zinsser Water based - that will cover it - £ 40 a tin tho`. Then finish with a good quality one as suggested ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back