Is it the paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

still trying to sort this paint problem ..could it be the paint Trade emulsion from wicks..looks like ive misted parts of the wall.It has a patchy mottalled effect..in all 5/6 coats. 4 different types of rollers brushes pads etc.
Will more coats sort the problem ..the walls have just been plastered as well.
we did put a water mixed paint on the walls first ..What if I try a matt paint with teflon would this give a better coverage.

Sponsored Links
You did not answer my questions on a similar thread you posted in Plastering now moved to decorating. Those wishing to post read here first;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=269460
It won't be the paint causing the problems or even the rollers; it's what you’ve done before applying the paint & since that’s causing your problems!

Applying more paint over the top wont help at all, it'll just make matters worse.

Having read the other post, Richard C is right in saying that you shouldn't have used size. A mist coat is always best on fresh plaster.
However, I have often painted over sized walls, where the homeowner thought they were 'doing me a favour', without major problems.
I do think your problem is a combination of sizing, roller choice, heavy application and paint. Personally, I can't stand Wickes Trade emulsion but many colleagues love it.
The only thing you can do now is sand the surface as smooth as possible and apply more coats to try and even it out.
You could try Zinsser All Coat, which has levelling properties to help even out the surface, but it's expensive and I'm not overly confident it would work.

http://zinsseruk.com/shop/Product.aspx?cId=137&pgId=352

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back