Problems with Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt

F

Ffynnon

In October 2006 there was a post by darren7 regarding problems with painting a ceiling using trade vinyl matt, Brill White – “I have noticed that it looks patchy even after 3 coats […] using a decent poly short pile from the ICI Dulux shop”.

Advice given at that time included watering down the paint, making sure not to over-roller and ensuring that there was enough paint on the roller.

I’m now having the same problem – a patchy white ceiling even after 3 coats of Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt, Pure Brilliant white. I’ve tried watering down the paint and being careful not to over-roller but I’m still getting a patchy effect on first, second and third coats. Has anyone got any further advice about how much this very thick paint should be watered down?

It’s a few years since I painted a ceiling but I can never remember having these problems in the past.

I’m beginning to wonder whether it’s because, in the past, I used a pure wool paint roller sleeve (no longer easily available) but am now using a short-pile synthetic one. (As regards depth of pile on the sleeve, Daryl said: “I have now tried a medium one but it is the same.”)

However, a post in a different thread by Zampa (May 2005) indicated that putting vinyl matt on top of supermatt could cause a patchy effect. I’m painting ceilings that were previously painted by professional decorators when the house was first built. Could it be that they used a non-vinyl matt and the vinyl matt I’m using is the cause of the problem? Daryl followed up a suggestion to try a non-vinyl paint and said that the results, although not perfect, were better. Any recommendations, please, for a good non-vinyl ceiling paint, if this would help?

Any advice would be very gratefully received, as I have a four ceilings left to tackle and two already done that look blotchy and I’m getting frantic.

Ffynnon

Sponsored Links
Eeeeeee there's a lot to go at here.
Could be your technique/lighting/paint/water mix/ or the roller at fault.

I haven't used Dulux trade vinyl for a while so my advice would be to use Leyland vinyl matt (not much vinyl) or a good contract matt such as Johnstone's, as you wont get any flashing with this.
Interesting comment you've dredged from Zampa about using vinyl on top of supermatt or contract. This is 1 reason why,given the choice, I don't like using contract first,then a vinyl, as it sinks into the contract and flashes .

So...if you're not going to need to wipe your ceilings down..use a contract matt.

Many thanks, Growler, for you helpful comments. I'll try a change of paint!

Best wishes
Ffynnon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back