Supermatt over vinyl matt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, a couple of months ago I repainted my walls and ceilings using Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt watered down by about 15%. I love how it looks on the walls but the ceilings look terrible, extremely patchy. Can I paint supermatt over vinyl matt or does this require special preparation?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Supermatt is not very durable, but it doesn't matter on a ceiling. Vinyl is better on walls.

Were the surfaces dirty before you painted them? Soot from candles or open fires is very bad on ceilings

How many coats did you apply?

I'm be inclined to just put up another coat of the same.

It might be that working overhead you did not apply it evenly.

Hi, yes it’s definitely my fault. I applied 2 coats on walls and ceilings. It looks perfect on the walls and I just want to repaint the ceilings with supermatt and leave the paint as is on the walls. Will supermatt stick to the vinyl matt?

Sponsored Links
Supermatt "can" causes problems further down the line.

Many years ago I used it to obliterate a dark pink vinyl silk bathroom. I then applied Dulux Trade waterbased eggshell over it. Within 2 weeks it crazed. I rang Dulux and the woman's response was "well it would".

In the decorating world it ranks as one of the most inappropriately used paints. As JohnD said, it is designed for new plaster- specifically for new plaster that hasn't completely dried out. Many decorators use it on perfectly dried plaster because the extra matt finish compensates for flaws in the new plaster and allows them to lower the quality of paint application.

It has a very low acrylic/latex content which makes it impossible to wipe clean. Effectively it is an inferior quality paint.

That said, it will adhere to the existing matt paint and will only potentially be a problem if you decide to paint over it with a shinier finish.

Dulux do sell Ultra Matt paint that is even more matt- they market it as having "anti-reflective technology". I have used it a few times. It is the only Dulux emulsion that I have used where you can touch it in and not see any halo effect. I have, and would only use it on ceilings. Stoopidly expensive and doesn't obliterate darks marks very well though.

Additionally they have Flat Matt- but I haven't used that. I did speak to another decorator who told me that whilst using it he had to stop half way through a ceiling and could not see any evidence of where he picked up later.

TL:DR? Supamatt should be ok (so long as the room is not subject to moisture).

Ceiling are a mare with matt. Its taken me some time to work out. There are a few vids on youtube. You must roll in the same direction with the same amount of paint. I paint in same direction then final turn on one side to the other throughout. So working alone width. One thing to do is not overwork the matt and not go over an area where the paint is semi dry. If that means leaving a gap then so be it using post-its to mark the virtual line. Ive used Tikkurelia Anti reflex.

Leaving a gap? Post it's? Sorry I don't understand. All you need is a good roller that can get the paint on quick. Once the ceiling is cut in the rollering should take 5 minutes or so on a standard size ceiling. Just keep loading the roller.

Yeah mine case is Im not professional and I dont have all the tools. Also because of home/work commitments on many occasions cant finish the job. I usually on do an hour or so then have to pack up. Also as in my case I have to work around the furniture (even though covered). Hence why I paint in sections over the professional long pole system. I use a standard roller and step ladder as most DIYers. As the paint dries very quickly I avoid catching the edge of previously coated length. Hence why a post it can mark where youve been. I wish mine took 5 minutes. Im up and down the ladder, answering the telephone and sorting out family and business life. Very different to a professional doing it.

Ok. But to help you in future. Use a roller poll and a good pile roller. I use a medium pile. You should definitely go over the edge of each band and leave no gaps.
In all honesty you can paint however you like but I wouldn't be giving it out as advice to have gaps and post its!
Most poles you can get above any furniture that's in the way. It's 99% about getting it on quick and 1% about trying not to touch the coving with the roller! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back