Mixing lime render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will soon be finishing the walls around my fireplace were im going to have a wood burner installed. After reading advice on this forum I have decided to use a lime render to do this, but I have never worked with lime before.

So my first question is how do I mix the render (ratios etc) and secondly how thick can it go on or how many layers should I apply to get a reasonable finish for paint.

TIA

Sponsored Links
You should probably use 3:1 or 3.5:1. You can buy this ready mixed which costs a little bit more but takes the variable out of a small job. Look for the Mike Wye website - they offer free advice if you buy stuff! There are other suppliers...

You would apply two coats of mortar (both about 0.5") before adding the finer lime plaster - again, there are details on their website.

Sponsored Links
this is similar to what i might do, could you tile straight onto the lime or does it have to be painted with a special paint? also i see that you only put it on quite thin, is there anything you can put in the fire place opening first to box the wall off slightly, i want to close the sides of my fireplace up about 3inches either side

also where can i find out what your ratios are 4:2:1 for example

what comes first, sand, cement, lime?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back