SPC

P

plstering

this ones for you and steve
im going too try my hand at lime rendering and lime wash
what the **** is lime bloom
iv got some hydratedlime and building sand cement
i know how too cement render with lime in the top coat but im sking about lime render with out cement

do's /donts prep work and mix's
how its finished ect help as im thinking of trying it out

Sponsored Links
OK, cple of questions
1: internal or external?
2: lath, stone or brick?
3: are you a patient man?

brick work out side and yes i can hang around if the kettel is on

Sponsored Links
ok, make sure there is no organic material on the brick work.

whats the m2 area?

try with nhl 3.5 first mixed with putty and sand for the scratch coat ( i only use putty but its our first go and putty needs looking after more)

gauge your mix 2.5 sand 1 nhl 3.5 and 1/2 tub of slaked lime putty. put plenty of hair in your scratch coat. edge it off with a wooden straight edge and keep the aggregate nice and open. when it pulls in a bit, score in diamond pattern and leave for about a week to carbonize. oh and don't put it on any thicker than 10-12mm at a time!

use a big weed sprayer filled with the water from the top of the putty and clean tap water, wet it down well before applying your top coat. (do not use pva) batch mix your top coat with 3.5 sand 1 nhl 3.5 and putty, little hair if any (let the flaming commence) lol

edge up and float with a wooden float, urethane ones are fine, they tend to seal the surface a bit too much

don't allow it to form a surface crust as the back wont set and it will fail, give it a mist down to slow the drying, therefore reducing the likelihood of it cracking

One your render has fully set up and you come to lime wash it, make sure you get your limewash bound with casein, give it a bloody good stir.

once you have got the hang of that, ditch the hydraulic lime and use mature putty, hair and sand. then you are a lime plasterer :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

where are you in the country, if you're not too far away and you make good coffee ill get you started.

ps, lime bloom is the white efflouressence you get on concrete slabs or some types of brickwork, not directly linked to lime as such. Can be removed with a wire brush or washed down with rain water as it is slightly acidic.
its not detrimental, and usually dissapears after a year of rain or footfall

im in kent m8 the job is kent too its for my nan
im building two new brick peirs for a new set of gates
its say 4ft high and brick and half bond cant i use render beads on the corners can you lime wash over s/c

ps stupid Q&A but can you render with just HL and sand no cement lol
sounds like a lot of work just for some peirs
all iv got is HL opc and building sand waterproofer like youd use on norm s/c render
just wanted too try somthing new
i use Krened wber and the norm s/c render wanted too turn my hand thats all

for this project mate, stick with sand an cement, if you get a whole wall to do give me a shout, ill be happy to help :D its alot of waiting around for 2 brick piers :LOL: :LOL:

hydrated lime a hyraulic lime are 2 different products.

give me a minute and ill send you some links to read up on

lol yer i know m8 can i make a whitish coating too go over the top with the hydratedlime sand and water like a slurry and brush it on or will it just wsh off with the rain im just looking for way to change things here and there

worked on loads of lime toped render jobs the best one ws a week before
xmas up a ally tower laying on render now that was cold man hade too mix it up out the frunt and bring it through the house in buckets man it was slow had two labs me and auther plalsterer on the job
rubing up at 6/7ish hade the lights out the lot even had a gas heater going too as we was working on the inside too ****ing pain in the arse

went back in the summer and it looked the tits
she had the frunt renderd and what looked like 2ftby4ft block work cut in too it looked **** she got me too TYROLEAN the lot still loked **** but she loved it :eek:

render them in white cement, hyrdrated lime and nice pale sand.

click on this link, this is my bible. If you find it interesting you can buy it from amazon for about £130.00 publisher is donhead

http://www.archive.org/details/plasteringplaind00mill

another good reference book is sawyer's plastering, also by donhead

dont buy john ashirst, its *******s :evil:

click the link and read it for free

ive got a 4th edition, 1st and second editions go for about 5-8 grand

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back