Mixing Resin & Maths questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some resin in a tin that we believe could be at least 25 years old (may be 35), there is no catalyst with it. It is still liquid and stills smells like resin! will it be OK ?

The instructions on the tin refer to a tube of catalyst that we don't have.

Internet suggests mix should be between 2 & 4%

I have red catalyst that comes with tins of car body filler - I'm thinking that will work with the resin ?

I did a trial mix tonight with a total guess at the ratio, it went off (become unworkable) a bit quick but couple of hours on its rock hard - does that mean its worked ? or could it suddenly blow my heed off or something

I'm going to use it to fill the edges of OSB - not the end of the world if its a failure, but won't use it if its a guarantee failure (if that makes sense)

----------------------

Now the MATHS question
the red catalist comes out in a tube shape about 3.5mm in diameter
45 mm of this = 433 cubic mm ?

if I mix this with 15ml of resin (15,000 cubic mm)?

therefor 2.9%

is that right ? getting confuzzled with ml & cubic mm - LOL

------
and does the quantities really matter, would 1% just take longer to harden and 10% just go off too quick - or would these ratios just ruin the outcome ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry about the measurement too much, I don't think anyone has ever measured out the exact ammount of catalyst required.

If it appears to have worked then go with it.

Usually big resin goes off it goes hard. Sometimes moisture content can creep in and also spoil it, but your sounds like this never happened so crack on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back