MK Masterseal (RCD or not)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from my last question.

My board is dual RCD, there will be a separate mcb supplying the masterseal outside (16amp MCB should be OK).

Is it worth getting the masterseal with the RCD protection seeing as my board is protected by RCDs.

If I did get the RCD protected masterseal would it trip both RCDs upon a activation or will it pop the masterseal one forst leaving my internal circuits live.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It could take out one or other or both in the event of a fault. Also the test button on the socket can trip the board RCD also.
If you are feeling spendthrift then get the socket with RCD and put on the non-RCD side but if not put a normal one on the RCD side.

EDIT: If your board has no non-RCD ways then you will have to put it on one of the RCD sides, don't use an RCD socket unless you want bolt and braces protection

I don't know the answer to the question, all I can say is I have the external grey RCD MK socket, also on a RCD protected consumer unit, I don't understand why but the consumer unit rcd always seems to trip before the one on the socket. I run a small water pump to drain the garden, a small poly bag got caught in the pump the other day, this caused the trip when I inspected the pump :(

Interested to know what the pros think should happen in this sort of senario?

Thanks

Paul

If both are the same rating (30mA) then the one with the faster trip time will probably go first.
It may also depend on what point on the sine wave the fault occurs. It certainly will not be predictable.

ts not dangerous to have two RCDs of the same rating on one circuit, but there is no point.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back