Electrics to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I'm planning on running electrics to my shed where I'm in the process of installing some decking. I intend to run 12v decking lights and may be a radio from this, however I would appreciate your ideas on whether I can run a security PIR flood light from this as well?

My plan is to run some flex (in conduit) from an outdoor socket mounted on the house. This is from B&Q kit with the other end plugged into a socket in the house (there is an RCD plug on this end). The other end will, as I said run in conduit attached to the outside of the house then end at a weatherproof box. From here I plan to run SWA initially along the fence line (mounted on fence) but later buried (when I renew the fence). At the end of this run I plan on putting another weather proof box and using flex inside the shed to a socket into which I will connect a weather box containing a four way socket into which the lights etc will plug.

Further to this, I am think of buying a photoelectric switch to attach between the four way extension and the socket inside that will allow the lights to automatically turn on for a few hours at dusk.

I'm thinking that as this is not a permanent fixture, and not hard wired into the CU, this should be OK with part p? What are your opinions on this and what type of SWA do you think I should go with, in terms of 2 or 3 core and 1.5 or 2.5mm cores?

Are there any websites that give good instructions of terminating SWA, I've had a look around and found a few but there are always those hidden gems that don't get shown in the first few pages of Google results!!

Thanks all in advance for reading,
Gaz :confused:

Sponsored Links
I would appreciate your ideas on whether I can run a security PIR flood light from this as well?
You can run what you like, as long as the circuit can cope with it.

My plan is to run some flex (in conduit) from an outdoor socket mounted on the house. This is from B&Q kit with the other end plugged into a socket in the house (there is an RCD plug on this end).
Those things are really tacky, and the manufacturers/retailers are being at best disingenuous when they claim that they aren't notifiable.

The other end will, as I said run in conduit attached to the outside of the house then end at a weatherproof box. From here I plan to run SWA initially along the fence line (mounted on fence) but later buried (when I renew the fence). At the end of this run I plan on putting another weather proof box and using flex inside the shed to a socket into which I will connect a weather box containing a four way socket into which the lights etc will plug.
Why not just use SWA all the way? Preferably a dedicated circuit to the shed with a small CU for sockets & lights, but if you really must come off the socket circuit then put an RCD FCU on it, and run from there to the shed with SWA.

[ASIDE]As not even your downstairs sockets are already RCD protected your installation is getting on a bit - probably be a good idea to have it inspected.[/ASIDE]

Further to this, I am think of buying a photoelectric switch to attach between the four way extension and the socket inside that will allow the lights to automatically turn on for a few hours at dusk.
You must really love the look of Masterseal accessories to want to pay that much for a photoswitch... ;)

I'm thinking that as this is not a permanent fixture, and not hard wired into the CU, this should be OK with part p?
Afraid not - you're installing fixed equipment outdoors - the fact that it plugs in makes no difference, it's still notifiable.

What are your opinions on this and what type of SWA do you think I should go with, in terms of 2 or 3 core and 1.5 or 2.5mm cores?
3 core.

Size depends on distance and load, but I would always advise against small sizes because of you-never-know, and digging trenches is a PITA.

Are there any websites that give good instructions of terminating SWA, I've had a look around and found a few but there are always those hidden gems that don't get shown in the first few pages of Google results!!
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:swa-gland

Thank you for your reply, just thought I'd clarify a few things.

The CU is new with the sockets RCD protected at the CU. The Rcd on the external socket is fixed so i had to use it!

Why do I need an rcd fcu if the socket is rcd protected already? Also where does the rcd fcu go in the circuit?

Appreciate your comments re the photoelectric switch, I totally agree! I've seen a similar one on EBay for £20. Can they be obtained for less?

Again, thanks for your comments they're really appreciated.

Gaz

Why do I need an rcd fcu if the socket is rcd protected already? Also where does the rcd fcu go in the circuit?

You don't. It was assumed you had no RCD on the CU as you were using an RCD plug. So you can use a normal fcu. It can be inserted in the GF ring. Either wire it as a spur, directly into a socket which is already proven to be on a ring (easiest), or you can maintain the ring by extending the cables between two accessories. This may involve pulling some slack cable through, or replacing a length of cable between sockets. The fcu will then be fully on the ring.

But as BAS says, a new circuit from the CU is a better way of doing it.

Sponsored Links
Ok so I've had a bit of a rethink now and think that a spur from an existing socket would best and easiest. Thanks for your replies, they've been a great help!

I was going to attach the spur to an fcu then run through SWA to the shed and a normal socket which would be located within the shed. What are your thoughts on this idea? It would certainly be neatest for me as well as probably cheaper!

Thanks again
Gaz

Appreciate your comments re the photoelectric switch, I totally agree! I've seen a similar one on EBay for £20. Can they be obtained for less?
If you'd clicked on the photo you'd know the answer to that... ;)

ah ha!! well thats saved me £30 already, that should pay for my swa!!

thanks ban-all-sheds!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back