Power to Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ive just built a shed which is about 13m away from the back of the house. I want to install a double socket in the shed. Have some electrical experience and want to do this without breaking Building regulation rules.
Could anyone please advise if my plan sounds ok, or well off the mark!

In the kithcen - i will be wiring a 3 core 1.5mm cable to RCD unit and plug this straight into an existing kitchen socket.

The 3 core will then go through a hole outside and go into a weather proof junction box. I will then wire 1.5mm SWA into the junction box.

The 1.5mm SWA will then run the 12 meters roughly 30cm underground(Soil boarders) - This will enter the shed and go into a weatherproof Junction box and wire into this 1.5 mm 3 core cable.

The 3 core 1.5mm will then be wired into a weather proof double socket.

I intend to connect power tools(circular saw), garden tools i.e lawnmower etc. The shed is hopefully water tight but not tested yet.

Does this setup sound ok? For a cheaper solution I was thinking of maybe substituting the SWA for 1.5mm 3 core all the way in plastic piping secured along the fence - i this a bad idea????

Thanks for any guidance.

Sponsored Links
stuartjg said:
Have some electrical experience and want to do this without breaking Building regulation rules.
you will need to inform building control and pay your fee before you start as this work now comes under part p of the building regs (see the wiki, you may already know that but over 80% of the uk don’t, apparently)
stuartjg said:
In the kithcen - i will be wiring a 3 core 1.5mm cable to RCD unit and plug this straight into an existing kitchen socket.
fixed wiring should be just that, fixed! Not plugged in.
stuartjg said:
The 1.5mm SWA will then run the 12 meters roughly 30cm underground(Soil boarders)
needs to be 45cm with warning tape above it, not sure about the cable thickness for the length (Im not a spark) but theres a calculator on TLC’s website.
stuartjg said:
Does this setup sound ok?
the best way to do a shed is to run SWA protected by MCB to a CU in the shed with RCD and MCB for sockets and one for the lights, if your digging a trench it might be worth upping the capacity and fully powering the shed like that.
stuartjg said:
For a cheaper solution I was thinking of maybe substituting the SWA for 1.5mm 3 core all the way in plastic piping secured along the fence – i this a bad idea.
yes when the fence blows down it will take the cable with it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replys, I was hoping i wouldnt need a consumer unit in the shed just to get power for occasional use but i take it this is required to do the job properly/legally (not half 'a job!). Well, i suppose I'll have to get a friendly electrician in..

Thanks again!

Hello again, almost done!

I popped into B&Q on the way home and noticed they sell a kit so you can have an outside power point with Armoured cable converted into 1.5mm cable and wired into an RCD that goes into a standard 3 pin socket - this is pretty much along the lines what i explained i was looking to achieve. Ive noticed similar kits available on many websites ( http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=OPK&cookie_test=1) as an example. Would building control also need to be informed of such setups or it different in my case because im installing power in an out building of such?

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back