Outdoor cabling for garage/shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shed/workshop around 30 Meters from my house which I wish to wire up.
I have a free line in my fuse box which I am going to use for this. I am going to have strip lighting and spot lighting in the shed and around 8 sockets which will run various power tools.
Should I have a separate garage type fuse box in the shed ?
What size SWA cable should I use, will 1.5mm 3-core be ok ?
Any recommendations on depth of cable underground and joining of cable would be useful.
All tips welcome as well
Many Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You need to determine what the maximum design load will be before we can give you any more precise answers.

Yes a separate consumer unit in the shed - often sold as garage boxes - usually two way with 16A and 6A MCB's. One for power, one for lighting

SWA size depends on load but I would work on 6mm at least allows for some expansion; preferably 10mm - more expensive short term but much cheaper than using undersize cable and then digging it all up again in a few years when you expand your needs.

Cable underground should be 600mm deep. There should be no joins for the SWA; it's terminated each end using special glands into the consumer units.

This work is notifiable to your local building control department. From the sounds of your questions I doubt that you are competent in the eyes of the law and would strongly recommend that you get someone in to quote for you. You can save much of the cost by digging the trench yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back