MK Screw Terminals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody noticed a drastic decrease in the quality of screw terminals recently?

I fitted a couple of gridswitches recently that had part of the screw missing so were very hard to screw down, a spark friend of mine has had the same problem with numerous metalclad sockets and I fitted a 5amp socket today that, for some reason, had loctite in all 3 threads. Are they that concerned about them working their way out on their own that they now need to lock them in?

Also binned a couple of Logic 2G socket outlets a few weeks back as the L terminal screws were so rubbish the head sheared right off.

Now, I don't fit that many, people must use them on a day to day basis (or perhaps not so much anymore) and given the problem seems to be across the range, not just a bad batch.

Sponsored Links
yep, I had a ceiling rose the other day,

was screwing up the terminals and all of a sudden it went loose.. the head had sheared off the screw thread.. but the wire was secured tightly.

That is a selling feature of Mk the screws are backed out to save time, if they wernt locked in i would assume they would get lost in transit.

Mk are now back being made in britain so maybe thats the reason they have deteriorated

Yea i can understand a drop of loctite, and have seen this on various products, even got some machine screws (I think) once that had a drop on ready to go.

This socket though had copious amounts, took a lot of force to break it (didn't know it was loctite at the time) I can think of other ways to stop the screws falling out.

This does't excuse screws with big chunks missing from the body of the screw. If I remember I will take one out and take a photo tomorrow, it's not an insignificant gap

Sponsored Links
Has anybody noticed a drastic decrease in the quality of screw terminals recently?

In my opinion MK went for profit after a good name (although I always preferred Crabtree!!) and I've lost faith in their stuff last two years. Still get Crabtree but I am leaning more and more towards Click stuff (double screws in shower switches, modular design of switch plates, etc. etc.).

I know it's a personal (and a time thing) but at the mo I wouldn't touch MK or Wylex unless the customer thinks it's the best, when I point out that the warranty will be down to them to arrange then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back