Mk2 Golf GTI refurb..

Nice one Keith!!! That no ordinary G60 is it? It's a 16v G60!!

I have a Mk2 Golf too, it's a K-reg with an R32 engine in it, it will get finished when I retire :LOL::LOL:(y)

Sounds good Ian!, too many 20v Turbo conversions about so nice to be different!.

Yes mine is a 16vG60, BBM fuel rail and front mount alternator kit. Love the the supercharger, instant boost!.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure about deleting PAS? It's going to be a pig at low speeds without.

I'm going to run it with a manual rack and if I can't get on with it I've seen an electric steering column conversion that will fit.

Plenty of time but the house and summer holiday have drained all my money!.

Managed to muddle through my gearbox strip today, unfortunately I need a specalist puller to pull the output shaft cluster off to remove the diff, nowt's simple!.

20180723_120523.jpg
20180723_140042.jpg
20180723_164110.jpg
20180723_202508.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm going to run it with a manual rack and if I can't get on with it I've seen an electric steering column conversion that will fit.

Have you ever seen the Pinderwagon? He has Citreon Saxo electric steering in that.

What are you doing with the gear box? LSD ?

For now it's a strip to check condition and I'm drilling the diff rivets out and fitting a diff bolt kit (common failure on the 020's).

Would like a Quaife LSD in the future so any tooling I have to buy will be used again!.

Have you ever seen the Pinderwagon? He has Citreon Saxo electric steering in that.

Yep, that's an electric hydraulic pump setup iirc. Are you on Club GTI Ian?.

Yep, that's an electric hydraulic pump setup iirc. Are you on Club GTI Ian?.

I was the chairman of it for a couple of years but when I bought this house I stepped down. I enjoyed doing it but some people, to say they take it far to seriously would be an understatement.

I was the chairman of it for a couple of years but when I bought this house I stepped down. I enjoyed doing it but some people, to say they take it far to seriously would be an understatement.

I had 10 years out and there seemed to have been some nasty going's on while I was away!. Didn't dig to far though.

Trev16v, Gary (GVK), HotGolf and Rubjonny are still on but don't recognise many others. Think Toyotech used to go by a different username?.

There was, i could write a book on it :LOL:

Toyotec was vice chairman when I was chairman, he was great, much better at the club stuff than me.

Trev is a legend, he made the timing gear for Curborough and you must have seen his 16v G60 Syncro with its home made manifold.

Hotgolf, the gearbox guru, he lightened and balanced the flywheel in my car.

GVK, I didn't see much of him in the later years but used to love his track day write ups.

Rubjonny, another really good guy, probably has wires for veins, I've got a grill of his in my garage.

Small world eh Keith :). My username was 1990, I bet pics of my car are still on there under 'Mk2 R32'

Me and Trev16v imported our 16vG60 BBM kits together to save on shipping, must have been 15+ years ago now!.

Did three or four Donnington trackdays with Gary, had a great time.

I do remember your 1990 username Ian, will have a look at your car later mate!.

As you say it's a small world indeed!.

Puller turned up today, need to make some spacers though.

Got a Peloquin Pelolock 80% diff kit on the way as well for a good price!.

20180726_175544.jpg

Shafts out and diff bearings pulled and diff ready for rivet removal on works drill press.

All taper roller bearings need changing, requires all preloads setting up again unfortunately (shims under bearing cups).

All gears and shafts look good though!.

20180727_193404.jpg
20180727_194603.jpg
20180727_195143.jpg
20180727_202950.jpg

Slow going at the moment Ian, got all the bearings for gearbox now but Summer holiday (Cornwall) stopped play!.

Was going to have a bash yesterday but had the hangover from hell after a wedding do on Saturday so thought better of it.

Got a set of R6 forks to build for a friend but he's also giving me a hand to pull the engine out so favours for favours!.

Yours looks like a lovely restoration and a fair old lump to cram in!

Sponsored Links
Back