Modify front door so exterior handle opens door when unlocked?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As seems to be standard these days, front doors can only open from the outside with the key, even if the door is unlocked. Seems turning the key opens the door instead of the handle.

It's all well and good but it makes an unlocked door impossible to get inside without the key, a few times I've locked myself out as the door was "unlocked" but I shut it behind me without a key and couldn't get back in. (Worse when I shut it behind me with the key on the inside of the lock so I can't get inside even with the key!)

Is it possible to modify it so the external handle can open the door while unlocked? I can't see any reason for it to not open externally while unlocked. Security maybe but if I want to keep people out then I'd lock the door!

Sponsored Links
It's a split spindle which you can presumably swap out but I've never tried

Sponsored Links
And to modify, you'll need the correct size lever/lever handle , rather than a lever/pad that normally comes with split spindle. All you do is replace handle using the longer spindle in thelower of the two spindle holes in the lock

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back