UPVC front door split spindle door opening problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My parents have got a UPVC front door & its having problems opening from inside.

Its got FUHR on the multipoint locking system if that help.

When the door was new it worked as follows.

From the outside you need to use the key to open the door all the time even if it isnt locked, you can also operate the multipoint lock at the same time by lifting / lowering the handle.

From the inside you can lift the handle to operate the multipoint lock & then lock the door with the key, in this state it needed the key to unlock it again before you could press the internal handle down to open it.
When the door was working if it was unlocked with the key you could just press down the internal handle & it would then open.

The problem is ( other then my heavy handed sister breaking it ) when you unlock the door with the key from the inside & then press the internal handle down to open it, the little latch isnt being pulled in to the door enough so the door wont open BUT if you press the internal handle down & turn the key in the lock at the same time it will open.

If have had the handle off & its one of these split spindle assemblies inside.

The multipoint lock & mortice lock parts of the door are working ok, its the little sprung door catch thats causing the problem with the internal handle.

Is there some kind of adjustment thats out or is it a common / easy to fix problem / part needing replacement type of job?

Cheers in advance for any help

Lee

Sponsored Links
Not sure if they are repairable or not but I had a similar thing with my parents doors. I stripped them down and refitted them several times but in the end fitted these http://www.era-security.com/NmarREPAIR06.htm

Quite a simple job and had no problems since.

If it's working with the key, then the multi-point is fine - the problem is in the handles. Either buy a new set, or dismantle the existing ones and see if you can repair them.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back