Modifying a downpipe drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a guttering downpipe adjacent to a tap. The downpipe goes into a clay pipe and is cemented into place.
I want to use a sink of some sort to allow the tap to be used more to allow the water from the tap to drain into the claypipe.
I am not sure what kind of outdoor type sinks are available so any suggestions please.
We probably have one or two Belfast sinks used as planters kicking around if that is a good idea?

The claypipe goes to the klargester via a junction.

As cement is hard to remove from the clay elbow is it better to remove the elbow completely and how would it be fixed to the horizontal clay pipe?

p1000376e.jpg

Sponsored Links
Rainwater shouldnt be drained to a Klargester (or any septic tank), it'll overload it in times of heavy rainfall. Is it definate its connected to the Klargester?
As to the original question, chances are the bend will be cemented into the socket of the next pipe. I doubt you'll get any joint free without breaking the clay. Best bet would be to cut the clay after the socket. Angle grinder or hire a chain cutter for that job.

Cut and chamfer the clay, then fit a suitable coupling, Fernco type or Wickes usually stock a suitable item, from salt glazed to 110mm uPVC. Fit new section as required in 110mm plastic. (If it is connected to the Klargester then there should really be a trapped gulley at the base of the downpipe.)

Belfast sink should be ok, or if you need to fit a gulley, a large gulley surround could be used, positioned to catch the water from the tap. (Another option with a gulley in place is to form a 'bowl' from concrete in place of the existing slab(s), angled to direct the water into the gulley. )

Thank you hugh jaleak.
On consideration I am not sure it is connected to the Klargester. The pipe goes to a drain chamber and then I am not sure where. The garages were built 30 year ago and the Klargester was installed 5 years ago when I converted it into accommodation. I guess the drain soaks away on it own.
Thanks for your suggestions WRT the pipe and Belfast sink, a question of digging down and investigating levels and pipe run.
I would have responded sooner as I get emails of thread replies but not for this one for some reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back