Moles..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I seem to have adopted a mole in my back garden (5 hills so far!).

I'v had a good look round and seen a few traps but to be honest I'm not really up for killing the little blighter (last resort really).

Will the tunnels wreck my lawn?, if not I might just leave him to get on with it. Think it's already exploring next doors anyway!.

My house backs onto a field so it was inevitable really.

Other option is too lift the lawn and put a barrier under it in spring to preven similar next year I suppose?.

Anybody else had mole problems and would like to chip in?.

Cheers, Keith.

Sponsored Links
You could try a line of mole scarers along the boundary. But are the fields under cultivation or grass? You could ask the farmer his thoughts.

Me - I'd get rid of the little beggers!

The only thing I found that works, is to stick a garden hose down the hole and let it run.

as far as I am aware, moles don't do any harm unless you are after a golf course/tennis court type finish.
At work we have a lot of woodland and lawn, and the odd molehill. The landscapers just flatten the dirt.
The moles live quite far down and are good tunnellers so unlikely to collapse.

Sponsored Links
My opinion is moles are good for the soil. The tunnels improve aeriation of the soil and improve drainage.

So if you can tolerate the hills allow them live there.

If you have to get rid of them then my experience is that they do not like vibrations in the ground, apparently it makes it hard for them to detect the sounds of worms and other food. Open up a tunnel under a hill and use a loud speaker to fill the tunnel with white noise or the sound of russling paper . ( the sound of Jimmy Young or Cliff Richard is said to give faster results ) Either that or they decided to move for some other reason.

Depends how regular you like your lawn. It's not just molehills, it's collapsing tunnels.

Land mines for moles........ I've seen everything now.
I use the NoMol traps and have had a good deal of success with them.
They aren't particularly cheap, but they get the job done.
I have placed them in a field used for exercising dogs at a kennels I do work for and as these remain completely underground I can leave them down (with a marker) and they still have use of the field whilst I catch their moles.

Nomol_Collage_v2_1000px_540x540.jpg

I've left it alone for now, still 5 molehills.

Had a look at a fair few traps and if worste comes to it I will lay a few but don't want to kill it just for the sake of it.

You should see the moles in Wales, big white fury buggers!!
IMG_5366.JPG

Didn't they used to gas moles with the exhaust fumes from a motorbike?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back