Mondeo Zetec '98 - intermittent rough idle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm seeking some advice please. My Mondeo Zetec 1.8 has developed an intermittent rough idle, but only when warm, never cold. When I say rough idle, it hunts up and down, occasionally stalling, but sometimes just going back to normal.
I've checked for any vacuum hose leaks and found none, cleaned the mass air flow sensor and idle control valve, but no change. As it does it usually when braking in traffic I'm thinking it may be the vacuum hose to the brake servo, but haven't yet had a chance to check it. It has also done it when it's been idling on the drive so not too sure about this.
I haven't noticed any problems when driving along(had a coil pack go on a focus last year, and it's not like that).
Not wanting to put it into a garage yet, was hoping if anyone has had the same experience?

Sponsored Links
There's a rubber "T" piece in the vacuum line. This is located under the ignition coil.
Check that, it's a common fault.
A replacement is around £4 from Fords.

Thanks, not sure if I'm being stupid but I can't seem to find the rubber T piece. Have had a look before, as mentioned in other posts, but there just seems to be a fixed hose running front to back. The engine is a Zetec-E if that amkes any difference?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Bryn.
Just found on another forum that you can run with the MAF sensor disconnected. Tried it earlier and will continue to try it for a few days. Hope this doesn't do any damage to the ECU. Does anyone know if this is OK to do?

Back