Monoblock kitchen tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be hugely grateful if anyone can help me out here . . . we had a new kitchen fitted lasy year and (stupidly I think now) bought a monoblock mixer tap from ebay (see picture). Over the last couple of weeks (10 months later) this has been sticking a bit when we've tried to turn it off and dribbling a little, then gradually more. Last night the tap mechanism stopped completely and wouldn't turn off at all. Tried everything, but whereas before you could stop the water flow by moving the lever slightly more to the side, now nothing works. The thing is, I'm not sure if this is just a dud tap - it was cheap - or whether there's something I can do.

Having been persuaded I reluctantly went and bought another new tap tonight . . then decided to just see whether the problem could be down to the washer or the ceramic disc. My dad's idea. A great DIY-er but far away! I've isolated the cold and hot water and tried to get the tap apart. So far, I've taken the lever off and managed to get the top of the tap off. I can see a brass disc/ hexagon-shaped thing but I've no idea where to go from here . . . .?? How does this brass thing come out?? Aaghhh . .

Sponsored Links
(see picture)
What picture?
I can see a brass disc/ hexagon-shaped thing but I've no idea where to go from here . . . .?? How does this brass thing come out?? Aaghhh . .
Whenever you see a hexagon thing and you want to remove it you would generally turn it anticlockwise.

The pics have been uploaded now - What tool would I need to get the hexagonal thing out though? I'm not sure how to grasp it without damaging the tap

Sponsored Links
You should be able to unscrew the top part (chrome) by hand, this will give you access to the hex nut which you can undo with a spanner.

Hi xbond. I have managed to get the very top of the tap off so now looks like pic 2. Do you mean I should be able to unscrew this chrome bit too?

Sorry, being a bit dippy there (even for a girl!). I've now unscrewed the chrome ring at the top and am attempting to take the brass hex bit off. Thanks - probably get stuck again but really can't afford a plumber just for this so may be back! . . .

I have now got the brass hex bit off and taken out the body which holds the ceramic disc. Could this be what's stopping the tap turning off - would it be worth me trying to replace this first or is this nothing to do with it?

Just check that no debris has been caught in the cardridge which would prevent the disk from closing properly.

Otherwise I doubt you will find a replacement cardridge & you'll just have to replace the whole tap...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back