Monsoon 3.0 pump - replace OK with 4.0 bar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I've checked the wiki and searched the forums to see if this has been answered before, I can't see it and I guess it's quite a simple question so just send me in the right direction if the answer is somewhere else !

Basically I have a Monsoon 3.0 bar pump (part 46078) that died so I decided to just get a straight replacement. However, I've just received it and they've sent me the wrong one for some reason, sending me the Monsoon 4.0 version (part 46417).

My question is can I simply use this more expensive and more powerful pump or do I need to send it back and get the right one? I'm hoping the difference (apart from weight and power consumption) is simply that my tanks will fill quicker and therefore improve how long the showers run hot for etc rather than any risk to damaging the pipework etc due to the water being pumped under greater pressure around the system (yeah, you can all laugh if that's a stupid question, but only because it's Friday!)

Thanks in advance all !

Sponsored Links
A bit of good fortune for you then ;) . Yes you can install the larger pump which should not cause any problems & will not damage the pipe work. I’m assuming this pump is running a shower :confused: if so, you are mistaken in thinking the tanks will fill quicker given you longer showers. A higher output pump will have the opposite effect & will pump water at a faster rate than previously which will drain the tanks more quickly.

Thanks for the reply Richard :D

The pump pumps hot and cold direct from the hot cylinder and cold mains supply located in the garage to the hot and cold tanks in the attic. When I run any shower, tap, or flush a pan in any room above ground level the pump kicks in to replenish the tanks...I think that's the case as doing the same at ground level doesn't start the pump as the supply seems to come direct from the cylinder and mains rather than via the attic supply.

So my assumption is that as the tanks will be filled quicker, the showers run hot longer. But I hate assumption!

The pump pumps hot and cold direct from the hot cylinder and cold mains supply located in the garage to the hot and cold tanks in the attic.
Are you sure it’s pumping the CW mains? If so you’re breaking your local water authority by-laws which do not permit direct connection of a pump to the mains supply.
When I run any shower, tap, or flush a pan in any room above ground level the pump kicks in to replenish the tanks...I think that's the case as doing the same at ground level doesn't start the pump as the supply seems to come direct from the cylinder and mains rather than via the attic supply.
I think you should do some more checks to ascertain exactly what you have got; things don’t sound quiet right to me.

So my assumption is that as the tanks will be filled quicker, the showers run hot longer. But I hate assumption!
If your pump is replenishing the H/C water tanks in the attic then part of your assumption is correct & the tanks will fill more quickly but it won’t allow your showers to run hot for longer as the HW tank only holds so much hot water & once that’s gone you need to wait for it to heat up again. However, the system you describe would mean that your showers are not actually pumped but rely on gravity; does your shower performance indicate this?

Sponsored Links
Just had a thought, you havn't got a Combi boiler have you?

hmm - sounds not as simple as I thought! I have a combi, and my judgement on what pumps what to where is purely novice. I'm having the pump replaced on Friday so will have a much clearer idea on what goes where. My main concern with the pump being too powerful though and delaying the fitting of it as been put to bed though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back