More help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had someone in to sort out my computor, he wiped everything off and started again. He said, he would duplicate all the settings, so I could start over again should I require on the hard drive.
I found something called ghost, would this be what he meant? I've clicked on this but nothing happens.

Any help please

Sponsored Links
you either have a spooky computer, or that is the name of a back up programme / file (think its made by Norton)

Ha ha, a haunted computer, like that. more about Norton Ghost here, unfortunatly not used it myself.
here

Norton Ghost is a hard drive Cloning/back-up utility normally run in Dos mode.

I used it for my pc last week, to re-install. WindowsXP, Driver files, Internet/E-mail settings and a lot more. Total install time from Ghost data file was 14min & 12secs.

Program has a demo/help area.

Sponsored Links
This bloody thing is so close to being a ghost, if I don't kill it by the end of the week it will be a miracle. It nearly went through the window today.

Yes, Ghost is a very good drive replicator. You can copy one drive to another or create an image file (which can be stored on CD).

It's fairly intuitive, but make sure you know which is your source and which is your destination. You could end up with two empty drives :LOL:

To start it, make yourself a bootable floppy and copy the ghost.exe file to it.

Boot your PC using the floppy and wait for the A:\ prompt.

type GHOST and it's gui should start up. If you know how to use the autoexec.bat file, then you could put the command in there.

Cheers

Ig.

drive image can be run in the windows os, might be easier for you with a gui

Metric, thanks for info., sad to say I havn't got a clue what you are talking about.

To restore to a hard drive with no OS on it you need a DOS boot diskette, Symantec Ghost comes with utilities to create boot disks, but of course you need a PC with an OS on it to do this. Personally I prefer Drive Image, which Symantec accquired from Powerquest last year. Judging by the previous posts though, I don't think this is going to help much.

Sponsored Links
Back