Window Explorer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right clicking 'START' and left click on 'Explore' instantaneously displys the
required page, BUT not anymore. It takes a good 9 secs now.
I have cleaned the C hard drive, deleted all unwanted files, defragmentated all hard drives and run the 'system restore' to one previous date as well.
Could someone help me out. Thank you :cry:

Sponsored Links
As you probably know, the more files you have the longer it'll take, also if there's a CD in the drive then windows will take a while to read and if you are indexing your drives (right click drive/properties/general) will also use up some time. Or you could have a bug :(

Thank you TonOfSand for your response.
The problem as you point out could be, too many files.
I have C-drive -14GB used up, out of 19GB for software
D-drive- 32GB used up, out of 149GB for DVD
E-drive - 1GB used up, out of 55GB for documents
McAfee anti-virus
Intel core 2 duo 2.8GHz, 1066MHz

Not being well up in computer knowledge, indexing drives is something new to me.
Would a faster processor resolve this problem.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Yes a faster processor will speed it up but you may not notice if that's all you do. More memory might be a better bet if you're low. Looking at your spec, it's not file numbers. You can turn off drive indexing by opening my computer, right click on drive/properties, uncheck allow indexing. You may want to allow the system drive (where windows is installed) to index files and just change the data drives. Also clean up your registry using free software. Your anti virus could be a suspect. Windows explorer could be trying to access a drive or network that doesn't exist or a damaged CD. Just a few ideas. However, in saying all that, 9 seconds is a lot of time to try and claim back by unindexing drives etc. More likely it's one problem. Try and think of what changes were made to the system from the time it was quick to the time it slowed down. Wasn't a gradual process, was it?

Back