More Problems....DAMP WINDOW WALL!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Currently i'm doing up my living room and have stripped back all the wallpaper. Then i noticed that some areas on the external wall around the window have damp patches (ONLY areas marked in red in the picture). I have had damp course done approx 5yrs ago and have hardly had damp problems.

I don't know if its my damp course or window or could it be my roof gutter or air vent under the window or even condensation? HELP! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Doesn't look or sound like condensation, neither does it look like a dpc issue. Was the wall replastered recently? Also some details on where in the house this is and your wall construction would help.

The obvious culprits to eliminate and remedy first are leaking gutters/downpipes and the weathproofness of the window.

thanks r896 for your reply.

This is a victorian terraced stone built property. I must add that i did have this problem just after the damp course was put in...when i informed the damp company they told me that its most likely condensation or dirty plaster. I removed and replastered (left side of window) and i never had anymore issues. Just to reclarify, could it not be that eithier there is a window or condensation problem?

The whole room was replastered approx 4yrs ago and i didn't notice anymore issues, up until now.

I do have some cold air coming through the double-glazed window seal...even a little air through the old wooden frame, next to the ugly gas pipe which runs along the left side of the window

I assume its solid walls then. I would examine the pointing/ or render to check it's not blown as a first step.

Sponsored Links
Yes mate, that is an external wall which takes a lot of hit from the rain. To be honest, I've not had any work done to this wall/window due to financial issues. The previous owner has screwed the place and i'm now left with the headaches. He bolted in a massive 2x3 joist next to the window vertically - this is to put on a single hook to pull a clothing line from...what a d**k! I'm wondering if this joist could be the issue for one side of the window.

Also I've noticed some minor pointing come off, but it is like only a few inches.

PS: Ignore the flaky paintwork...thats work in progress ;)

is the rendered detail around the windows flush or proud of the wall? checking the top of it to see if water is running in behind it and then being held in behind your joist might be worthwhile?

The render/pointing is almost flush, however the joist is not flush. It comes out by approx 0.5cm, so there is a gap behind it.

I reckon it's because you have a solid wall/s with no cavity. You can see that by the outline of the bricks.The rain/moisture is coming through because the pointing is faulty.

I agree with Roughcaster. Sort your pointing and use fresh frame sealant around the windows.

thanks roughcaster and joe.

I'm sure you've made a mistake guys. I'm 99% sure that i've got a cavity type of wall as i have yorkshire stone on the outside and brickwork on the inside...isn't this a cavity wall? :?:

If it is then what do i do?

If there are no bricks longways in the wall (headers), then you are probably right. Most likely then is that your guttering is tipping water out backward, down the cavity and bridging the cavity when the water hits the wall tie.

We can only guess from this end.

Looking at the picture again,, the right hand bottom corner looks as if it might be damp, as does the area around the double socket on the left,,,, or is it just me?

I think first things first tear off that piece of wood and re seal around the window. The pointing might need addressed but do the easiest things first and gradually tick them off.

If your house is victorian i'd be very surprised if it had a cavity.

thanks roughcaster and joe.

I'm sure you've made a mistake guys. I'm 99% sure that i've got a cavity type of wall as i have yorkshire stone on the outside and brickwork on the inside...isn't this a cavity wall? :?:

If it is then what do i do?
It could still be a solid wall. An old method of building exterior stone walls was to build stone on the outside, bricks on the inside and fill the centre with small stone chippings, bits of old brick etc and stabalised with lime mortar.
Hard cement pointing won't help the damp problem.

Thank you very much for your advice guys. Stuart has hit the nail on the head - the building has exterior stone walls, with brick wall inside and the gap filled with rubble and chippings.

I've been busy and taken off that stupid joist which was rotten. I've then taken out a lot of old pointing around the left side of the window and filled it in.

@ joe - i'm waiting for someone to take a look at guttering, but it could be a week or two.

@ roughcaster - nah mate only the red lined areas are damp...the rest are just dirty marks, even around the plug.

@ r897neo - I've taken down the joist and done majority of the pointing. Why sealant? I thought it was only pointing?

@ stuart45 - If hard cementing won't help, then what will mate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back