Mortar mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building a block wall as part of a shed. I've calculated I need about 12 sq m of block work. I found a calculator on line for amounts of sand and cement needed and it reckons I need just over 500kg of sand and six 25kg bags of cement. Does that sound right?

By my calculations that's approximately 3 lots of sand to 1 lot of cement. Is that a good mix?

I also need to set the foundations. Is it best to add agregate to the mortar? Do I need the same ratio of sand and cement too?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Glenn

Sponsored Links
A 3 to 1 mix is very strong. I have used 5 to 1 for a normal wall in a moderate climate. As for quantities I understand that a cubic metre of sand (other ingredients in proportion) is about right for 2000 concrete blocks.
I always buy ballast (ie aggregate and sand) and use a 4 to 1 mix with the cement.

I was planning on using a C20 mix for my trench fill foundations, which would be 6:1. Is that too weak? Am I better off with a C25 - 5:1?

Gary

Just for the record a general purpose mortar mix would be 4:1 building sand to cement.

A general concrete mix is 3:2:1 Clean stone. sand, cement. Or if using all in ballast many recommend 6:1.

I am a bit confused, when you say you need to set the foundations do you mean pour them?If so then you use the concrete mix above not mortar with added stones.

For concrete 4:1 ballast to cement is very rich and unneccesarily expensive. 5:1 or even 6:1 is fine.

Garyo what is your found for? for a house or extension beef it up to the C25 but for small walls landscaping etc C20 is plenty

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips guys!

I'll post pictures once I get started :D

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back