Mortar Mix Calculations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I now know that I either need to make a mix of sand and cement (5-1) to rebuild an internal wall around a door way or buy ready mixed mortar.

I believe that a combination of using an SDS and Sledge Hammer (14lb) will be fine for taking out the current brick work.

I will have approximatley 250 bricks to rebuild the wall around the door frame but I haven't a clue how much mortar mix I need?

Is there a simple calculation I can use?

e.g. 5 ounces of sand - an ounce of cement per brick:
5 x 250 = 1250 ounces (78lb) of sand
1 x 250 = 250 ounces (15.5lb) of cement

Or 93.5 lb's of ready mix?

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
http://www.pavingexpert.com/calcall.htm#focus11

that should do you, and dont use ready mix stuff, its ab absolute waste of time and money

nice one Thermo that's just the job...would it be worth adding that link to a sticky? If not, It would seem that the calculation is:

z x 54.5 (sand)
z x 15.5 (cement)

(z being the number of square meters)

I think you are confusing my post re. ADmix in cement with ready mixes....as Thermo said- ;) no good what I meant was bagged masonry cement.different to O.P.C...........Ordinary Portland Cement. :oops:

Sponsored Links
ah...well spotted Nige, I was thinking that's what you were talking about ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back